News:

The Best Fishing Forum In The UK.
Do You Have What It Takes To Be A Member?

Main Menu
Please consider a donation to help with the running costs of this forum.

What have you tied today?

Started by Clan Chief, October 25, 2008, 08:04:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jimmul

Managed to get a couple of hours this morning to tie up some flies
Jim

jimmul

An easy tie but they still catch fish, for the South Esk in April and I always need plenty as I like to hang them in the trees :roll:

Burnfoot Loch

Quote from: Clan Chief on February 17, 2010, 12:52:32 AM

I tie something similar using the feather at the top of the jungle cock , works a treat .. :lol:

jimmul

this is great , I could get used to having time to tie some flies. Todays flies invicta and an olive on a size 22

Jim

Guddler

Oh well, here we go. Thought I'd better have a first go at posting in here to show that I was actually tying something with the kind gifts I received from several forum members when I decided to have a bash at tying.

These are some Hedgehoggy things, first on a B400 emerger hook and the second, which I prefer, on a B420 Sedge hook. Body is a Dark Claret SLF with a pearlescent tinsel rib, a CDC "underwing" and deerhair "overwing". The heads ended up a bit on the big side but hopefully I can sort that out in future.

[attachimg=1]

scotfly

Good stuff Guddler  :8) I like the B420 too.
Don't get stressed over your head, It's long rather than big, but you've managed to keep it fairly proportional to the fly.
Only thing I'd change is the body, try using about a 1/4 of the dubbing.
BIG plus point is the wing. Perfect length, perfect proportion and you've managed to keep the deer hair where it should be! On the B400 you've kept it all on top  :8) and on the B420 you've allowed it to "creep" down the side a fraction, that will add more stability to the fly.  :8) :8)
Very, very well done.

Guddler

Cheers Scotfly and thanks for the encouragement. I always really struggle with dubbing, whatever type I try. Sounds like I'm using far too much so I'll cut it right back.

I've got my first lesson booked for tomorrow night so I'll show him what I've been doing and see if he can help sort it out.

IrishFloatTube

I've been busy filling up missing spaces. Here's some of them:

Amber Sedge pupa

Damselfly Nymph

Pheasant Tail Nymph

Mayfly Nymph

Green Longhorns

Midnight Blue Leech

Gammarus Pulex Shrimp

Asellus Aquaticus louse

California leech

Minkie Roach

Caddis Larva Cased

Norm

Malcolm

I like that mayfly nymph - presumably Ostrich herl for the shaggy look?
There's nocht sae sober as a man blin drunk.
I maun hae goat an unco bellyfu'
To jaw like this

IrishFloatTube

Two long hair white ostrich herls and one tan shorthair herl wound together to dull the white into a bright white-cream, over an underbody of the tail pheasant tail fibres which were bound down and wetted with varnish to hold the ostrich herls, a rib of crean tying silk through wound counter to teh body wind.
A little lead under the thorax for surface penetration, but not to sink it like a stone.
The "rings" are PT and there are three of them in the cream white, one extra compared to a natural. I usually add another key point, or enlarge it, or brighten the camo so it's faulty camo and stands out. The idea here is for a brighter mayfly nymph with a bright-dark attention grabber feature at the rear.
The throat is brown partridge, short, and sparse. Wing case PT.

Norm

Go To Front Page