News:

The Best Fishing Forum In The UK.
Do You Have What It Takes To Be A Member?

Main Menu
Please consider a donation to help with the running costs of this forum.

What have you tied today?

Started by Clan Chief, October 25, 2008, 08:04:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

paulr

Cheers John,
The foam is Rainey's Evazote.You can buy sheets of it from lakeland fly tying.

Paul

River Chatter

Cheers for that Paul. Good to see you're giving me a run for my money in the skiving at work comp. Checking wee Maggies' book in at the PC my arrrsse!  :D

paulr

Oi i'm off sick  :?

Aye Col the orange posts come in handy often.I used to worry about the bright colour putting the fish off, but I've had decent fish from the Clyde on them in low water conditions-I reckon that's a pretty good test.

cheers

Paul

Wildfisher

Here?s a fly I have been working on for a while.

The ?Paradad?

Classic Daddy patterns  have several disadvantages. They sit low in the water, can be hard to see, and life is far  too short to be knotting pheasant tail fibres. I also  think rubber legs are a kind of ?super trigger?, very mobile  and better  for that. They are also easy to tie in.

I use foam for the body which makes the fly pretty much unsinkable. The fly still sits low in the water, which is what you want, but the parachute hackle and the McFlylon wing post makes it easy to see. You can tie them with different coloured posts for dark water / glare etc. Parachute flies also  reliably land right way up.

The first manifestations of this fly had a detached foam body. That, with the parachute post and legs,  caused the fly to spin when casting. Shortening the post length, tying in the legs a bit further back and using a size 12 long shank hook to allow the body to  be fixed down along its length seems to have balanced the fly better and reduced the leader twist. It is very easy and quick to tie. It should be tied as slim as possible ? natural daddies are not bulky.

Hook: size 12 long shank - (I use Fulling Mill World Class  31710  "nymph special")
Body: olive or light brown  1/8 ?   evazote foam
Legs: olive / light brown fine flexifloss
Hackle :ginger / light brown

[attachimg=1]

[attachimg=2]

[attachimg=3]

haresear

The para daddy looks like a winner Fred.

I also liked Paul's idea of tying the mega beetles quite big and trimming them as required.

Alex
Protect the edge.

Wildfisher

Col,

Threads like this are a great way to develop new ideas. You see something you like the look of and you can  adopt or adapt it. Individuals  can learn more from other members of the forum than they ever will by reading magazines.

Blanefishing

Paul

I like the beetle pattern is it a parachute hackle thats on it  and if so is it wound around the orange post?

Alberto

paulr

Hi Alberto,

Yes the parachute hackle is wound round the foam post.

I followed this excellent step by step by .D.

http://www.wildfisher.co.uk/smf/index.php?topic=10475.0

An olive coloured version with tan legs has done well for me too.

Cheers
Paul

Black-Don

I know it's been done before in the thread but here's a Turk's from last night.

Size 4 B170.  :8)

Clan Chief

Very nice. I will have to have a go at those turk jobs over the winter.
Not been tying much lately. but I have been venturing into salmon style flees here are a couple I tried out the other day there.

Go To Front Page