News:

The Best Fishing Forum In The UK.
Do You Have What It Takes To Be A Member?

Main Menu
Please consider a donation to help with the running costs of this forum.

What have you tied today?

Started by Clan Chief, October 25, 2008, 08:04:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Wildfisher

I deliberately make the dubbing straggly as I am convinced it makes the fly more effective. After two days when it's been like November the sun is shining here today, I'm going out to put this to the test.  :8)

Lochan_load

Inspired by the stravaig I got the vice straight out this morning, here's the two flies I fished most. Te muddler took the vast majority of my fish
[attachimg=1]

Lochan_load

and here's on that did well for others, I gave one a bash on the last day but it didn't save me from blanking  :roll: it's weighted with underwire, the drop daddy....
[attachimg=1]

Clan Chief

Nicely tied you tie a cool muddler. Got good news today that the sister in law has a job in Edinburgh and will be moving out of my spare room Just in time for the fly tying season. Be good to get back at the vice

Lochan_load

Good news mate, get on it! After talk of dying while we were away I decided to give dying grey mallard fiery brown as a bronze mallard substitute, I'm guessing because of the oils in the feathers the dye didn't take too well and they went a kind of light brown/summer duck type colour. Still looks pretty good. Tried to do some claret and it came out bronzer than the other!! Might have to just pay for the bronze mallard, just a bit expensive  :( anyway here's a wee claret sedgey thingy tied with the first dying
[attachimg=1]

bibio1

I like that. Did you wash the feathers in washing up liquid before you dyed them?

Lochan_load

Na Paul I used shampoo, think something stronger like washing up liquid might have been a better shout. Cheers I've still got some grey left so I'll try with washing up liquid and post up the results. Everything you dye is a little different, rarely works first time  :roll:

Lochan_load

Took on more colour but not much, just a shade of claret (almost pink!) wanted a deep claret, did a golden pheasant shoulder at the same time and it's come out pretty dark. Mallard might just be one of those things that doesn't dye well, anyway here it is on a fly......
[attachimg=1]

Lochan_load

You never know your luck andy 😉

Lochan_load

One tied with the golden pheasant shoulder that was dyed in the same pot, just shows how different they can turn out, claret crippled dabbler (thought I was on fff for a second there!!!)
[attachimg=1]

Go To Front Page