News:

The Best Fishing Forum In The UK.
Do You Have What It Takes To Be A Member?

Main Menu
Please consider a donation to help with the running costs of this forum.

What have you tied today?

Started by Clan Chief, October 25, 2008, 08:04:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Wildfisher

The hoppers are excellent. I have never "got" hoppers as most seem to be tied with the legs cocked above the water line. What's the point in that?

IMO, hoppers and indeed all leggy flies should be tied like the ones above.  Legs on the water.

Lochan_load

Yip, anything above the shank probably won't be seen Fred, the boar bristles are really springy so should be like having a set of oars sticking out the thorax, hopefully that's a good thing!
And very true hares ear, this thread is full of great ideas

lochgarryfisher

Well after not doing any tying for many years i have been practicing on big-uns this past few weeks to get me back in to it so thought it was time for something a bit smaller, size 14 was a shock to the fingers.
I never had any of the materials for D. Macphails duck fly so made up my own, the wing and hackle is jungle cock.[attachimg=1]

Wildfisher

I did another black foam backed hopper using a much narrower piece of much softer foam. I managed to get the whole thing a lot slimmer and less beetle-like doing that.

[attachimg=1]

lochgarryfisher

Still grotty weather out, not the best for lying on your back outside trying to get an axle back on the landy so fly tying practice, trying to copy Squigsters Sparkler, size 16, my eyes hurt!
[attachimg=1]

Lochan_load

More of the same, cow dung seals fur  this time

Wildfisher

I imagine this will spin like hell when cast.  :lol:

[attachimg=1]
Detached Body Daddy

Clan Chief

Hey Fred! you are fast becoming the DMcP of this forum with flees like that.  :D

Wildfisher

Allan, I don't have the patience, the skill or the visual acuity  to ever become a great fly tier let alone a Davie McPhail.  I have learned so much watching his Youtube vids, the man is a master tier. I enjoy Oliver Edwards tying too, but he is more of a model maker to my mind and many of his patterns are far too complicated and time consuming for fishing flies. Davie McPhail makes it look so easy!

Suki1312

Would concur with that , Davie has probably helped more people with there fly-tying than any other being on the planet . His videos on YouTube are a delight to watch .
Every day is a school day

Go To Front Page