News:

The Best Fishing Forum In The UK.
Do You Have What It Takes To Be A Member?

Main Menu
Please consider a donation to help with the running costs of this forum.

What have you tied today?

Started by Clan Chief, October 25, 2008, 08:04:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lochan_load

Looks like you've spun it right and the shape is good, only thing I would say is use less deer hair (start closer to the eye) and cut it down a bit shorter, like all these things a wee bit of practise and it falls into place, I'll have a look at those funky muddlers, only thing with the pike flies is they take ages!!

bibio1

My last of the day. A sooty dabbler. Will cut sown on the amount of mallard  next time

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk

Lochan_load

as has been said some cracking flies, Fred's beast and the Kate maclaren both very nice

Clan Chief

Yep loads of inspiration on here lately. I particularly like Paul's half Hog! Gonna tie a few in a similar vein.

brown troot

Some really cracking flys getting posted the past few days. I do like the look of Fred's big fly might give it ago and try it out when the season kicks in  :D. Keep them coming lads

Wildfisher

Yes indeed, great stuff. Some of the tying is really exceptional.  :D

lochgarryfisher

Quote from: admin on February 01, 2014, 03:27:07 PM
One for foreign parts, but also catches on certain Scottish Lochs for those who dare .   :8)
Size 10 long shank. This is a big fly.

[attachimg=1]
Foam Cicada

Hello Fred, awesome fly, can i ask or is this giving away trade secrets... when you're fishing it do you impart a lot of movement in to it?
I have being tying heavily palmered dabblers this last few days with the intension of possibly fishing them very fast to form a big wake.
Thinking something like yours could be fished the same way and obviously closer to the natural food.
The story behind this is i was in a boat a few years ago, we had just finished fishing and on way home so outboard going probably flat out but i still had my fly rod in hand and cast 90 degrees from the boat, obviously the speed of the boat meant the fly [a sedgehog i think] zipped round at a heck of a speed and fish on.
I got several more fish this way on the way home and ever since have been playing with the technique of trying to replicate this, down-stream mending etc
Wondering if your fly was created for something like this?

Wildfisher

Mark,

I fish these kinds of flies in all sorts of ways. On rivers I fish them as I would any dry fly. On lochs in all conditions from waves to flat calm.  If I see a rising fish  or manage to spot a fish I'll cast to it.  Sometimes if there is nothing showing I'll fish them blind giving  them short  erratic movements between periods of fishing them static. Fishing flies like this is all about having the confidence to stick with it even if nothing is doing. They will often bring fish up in classic "hopeless"  conditions. I didn't invent these flies, they are widely used overseas where there are  very large terrestrials. Even although we don't have cicadas here the fish don't seem to have realized that. IMO Scottish fly fishers and in particular Scottish  loch fly fishers are a conservative bunch. The likelihood is I would not  be using them either had I not fished in New Zealand on several occasions. Just to be clear though, I use flies like this from summer onwards and still tend to use more conventional imitative patterns when the main spring hatches are on (even although they do still catch then). Flexibility is the key.

Wildfisher

Large Dark Olive Parachute. Flexifloss body sealed with UV resin, pink post for better visibility.

[attachimg=1]

Hill loch gold

Decided tae get the vice out today and rustled up a few fleas

Bibio snatcher
[attachimg=1]

Go To Front Page