News:

The Best Fishing Forum In The UK.
Do You Have What It Takes To Be A Member?

Main Menu
Please consider a donation to help with the running costs of this forum.

What have you tied today?

Started by Clan Chief, October 25, 2008, 08:04:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bushy palmer

Bonny, That's how my Pennels look after a couple of troot!

13Fisher1

Quote from: admin on March 16, 2013, 11:56:34 AM
Tied a bunch of these. Silver ribbed black spider - William's Favourite? This was always a very good early season pattern around here.

Whatever it's called it shows up well in the snow  :lol:

[attachimg=1]
Fred, that's a really great looking fly and photograph! Really looks great, often though about learning to tie my own but never seemed to have time in previous yrs when kids were young and work and all the other demands. I'm also a bit overawed somewhat with all of the technical details about material types, construction and methods. Would like to give it a go  though now that kids are older now etc.

hopper

Use books as a guide to what materials you need and if you don't have the right materials use something you feel looks close enough.  If you take a fish on it great they don't  know the hackle was the wrong shade or the rib was the wrong size. Enjoy your tying  and when you take a fish on you own flies it will spur you on to tie more.

Highlander

The Williams Favourite generally had a tail of a few whisks of black hackle fibres but other than that yours is similar. I have the exact same paterns in my box & I call them "Silver Ribbed Black Spiders" as well.
Tight Lines
" The Future's Bright The Future's Wet Fly"

Nemo me impune lacessit

hopper

a few from the bench today just mucking about.
a spider  iron blue dun variant
[attachimg=1]

a nymph of the iron blue dun variant
[attachimg=2]

some dabblers for later on in the season
[attachimg=3]

[attachimg=4]

[attachimg=5]

Wildfisher

Nice Eric. Like the dabbler   :D

Wildfisher

[attachimg=1]

Starling  and Purple (Snipe and Purple using starling wing coverlet)

Allan Crawford

Looks good !
When I was at school I used to fish spider patterns like this on the local rivers.

Wildfisher

[attachimg=1]

March Brown Spider

Thread: Orange
Dubbing:  pale red-brown hare or rabbit
Rib: gold wire
Hackle: Snipe rump - or as I used Woodcock wing coverlet. Any mottled mid-brown game feather would do.
Tail: as hackle

Wildfisher

[attachimg=1]

Greenwell's Glory split wing wet fly.

The wing has split too much on this fly, but it's going to split even more first time it's cast   :lol:

Body: Yellow silk waxed with black cobbler's wax
Rib: Gold wire
Hackle: furnace hen
Wing: strip of starling primary, folded twice, tied in vertically and split - left erect (Clyde style)

Go To Front Page