News:

The Best Fishing Forum In The UK.
Do You Have What It Takes To Be A Member?

Main Menu
Please consider a donation to help with the running costs of this forum.

Pike Flies - to Lead or Not?

Started by haresear, December 05, 2007, 12:55:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

haresear

I was checking out some of Col's pike patterns and noticed that he loads them with a few turns of lead. I was wondering if the rest of you do this?

At the moment, I'm using an intermediate line, so I'm considering tying them unleaded and just letting it get down a bit before retieving. God knows the big beasts are awkward enough to cast as it is.

I'm thinking I could always just pinch a shot or two on the trace for weight if I think I need to get down more. What do you reckon?

Alex
Protect the edge.

superscot

alex is it sore to cast with say a really fast sinker ......

haresear

Quotealex is it sore to cast with say a really fast sinker ......

Superscot, I don't like using fast sinkers unless I have to. I don't find them so adaptable as an intermediate, as you have to strip really fast with the fast  sinker and I can see problems with snagging weed, not to mention shopping trolleys :shock: It occurs to me though that using one, I could try a foam bodied buoyant fly just above the bottom like a mega-booby ( the Dolly Parton?)

On balance, I'm intending to fish relatively shallow water (I quite fancy trying my old haunts on Lomond) and the intermediate seems the best all round choice to me as it allows for so many ways of presenting the chicken - sorry, fly.

Allan, I'll try some with the epoxy. It will definitely make them more durable at any rate. I'll give the tung-heads a miss. Even when trout/grayling fishing with the smaller beadheads I get a bit nervous and usually roll cast them if possible.

Alex

Protect the edge.

aliferste

I wrap some lead around my flies - in fact I wrap a load of the stuff around - I dont notice it that much when casting - they are purely chuck and duck flies. Saying that though  I am using a flaoting line so maybe I am compensating !

Wildfisher

On the rare occasions I lower myself, cast all dignity and common sense to one side and go salmon fishing I take a roll of electronics solder and wrap a bit of it onto the tube flies as needed to suit the conditions. This works well with big flies so might be worth a try with big pike flies. It?s versatile.

paulr

I fish a floating line and tie most of my flies with metal dumb-bell eyes.I've fished these for a few years now and never had any problems with them hitting the rod (touch wood).
As well as initially sinking the flies, i find they have a great action in the water,diving head first when the retrieve is paused,then swimming up in the water when the fly is pulled.I mainly use Bunny Bugs for pike.
Im sure the same effect could be created by wrapping lead near the front of the fly instead of using the metal eyes.
Alex,on the subject of fishing a buoyant fly on a sinking line,this method is sometimes practiced with a fly called a Ballydoolagh Bomber.A guy called Allan Hannah wrote an book about it called "Flyfishing for big pike".To be honest though,its not the most riveting book i've ever read.
Cheers
Paul

haresear

Thanks men.

I do have a couple of vaned flies with foam bodies (just like plugs really) and will definitely give them a try.

I read an article on the Ballydoolagh a few years ago and I'm sure that would work from a boat in the deeper water. I must read up a bit more on piking with fly as it seems to have come on in leaps and bounds in the years since I was a pike man.

Alex
Protect the edge.

paulr

Hi Alex,
The PFFA website has some good information.

http://www.pffa.co.uk/index.htm

Cheers
Paul

Malcolm

Alex,

I've spent all my last pike trips using only a few lures - bass poppers and huge deer hair headed lures tied in such a way as to dive when retrieved. A bit like the dahlberg diver. Haven't used anything more than a slow sinker so far 
There's nocht sae sober as a man blin drunk.
I maun hae goat an unco bellyfu'
To jaw like this

haresear

QuoteI've spent all my last pike trips using only a few lures - bass poppers and huge deer hair headed lures

I'd be happy to catch pike that size Malcolm :D

Cheers Paul, I've been looking at that site along with others. Still doing my homework before Saturday, when Aliferste and I hope to go to pike school. Suppose I better get round to actually tying some flies... I currently have about 4.

Alex
Protect the edge.

Go To Front Page