News:

The Best Fishing Forum In The UK.
Do You Have What It Takes To Be A Member?

Main Menu
Please consider a donation to help with the running costs of this forum.

Conned on ebay

Started by Pearly Invicta, September 18, 2007, 01:13:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

alancrob

I bought a cabinet with drawers to keep my fishing gear in. When it arrived there were a few problems with the door falling off etc. I cotacted the seller with an eye to negotiating a small refund since the problems were all easily repaired. Within an hour I had an appology and a full refund, and I was told to keep the cabinet.

It is not all bad on ebay, but be careful out there!!!!

Alan

doogs

PI

Remember that your ?125 probably wont be the only fraud this fuckwit has carried out, there will be many more victims.  Report it.

Fierybroon

I just bought a new line, shotgun slip and a watch off ebay,lets see what happens next :?

p.s. the watch is from america

Wildfisher

I have had trouble with Paypal over the past week. ?40 vanished from my account and  then Paypal locked it when the they realised it had been hacked. Still waiting  to get this resolved but having investigated Paypal since I now realise it is a shambles. It's about as secure as British immigration. Do some google searches and see for yourself.

Once I get this sorted  out I will likely close the account which is a shame because I use it, among other things,  to collect forum donations. Not sure how I'll do that if I close it.

What's that I hear you say?  You have never had any problems with Paypal?

Until last week neither had I. It's only when it goes tits up you realise what a Mickey Mouse outfit it is.

Remember – Paypal  is NOT a bank!!!

rabbitangler

Some Yankie B*****D just used my paypal account to pay for online gambling :shock:. Cnut that he was  

Mind you I only learned about it cos p[aypal phoned me, sorted it out proper quick so good for them :D

Still cant forgive them for the Italian Job though :x

Mind you I don't appear to be the only one, saw someone else who would post worldwide but not to Italy!!

Peter

Wildfisher

Quote from: rabbitangler on September 27, 2007, 03:28:18 PM
Some Yankie B*****D just used my paypal account to pay for online gambling :shock:. Cnut that he was  

See what I mean? That's two members of this forum robbed on Paypal within 6 days! What's the odds? How secure is it? Are you happy  for them to hold your bank and credit card info? 

Paypal is insecure. You can be robbed easily and without even knowing about it.  You have been warned folks!

The internet is crawling with low lives. Don't let them near your money.You have no come back with Paypal - if they don't refund your are stuffed. They will say you have not looked after your password. Mine is obscure and my home network sits behind a firewall that blocks ALL incoming traffic. In addition I have firewalls on each pc. There is no way they got access to my password that way. I believe they don't need it anyway, they have figured a work around.

Pearly Invicta

As I originally posted here, I was the victim of fraud on ebay. the seller had 30 positive feedback reports but when I realised the item was not going to arrive I looked at the details again to try and work out how I had been conned.

The seller had registered the month before and almost all the feedback was for very low value items, generally software and under 10 quid. There were one or two higher value items but when I looked at the details for those leaving feedback, their profile was very similar to my sellers...and some of them were showing as 'this user is no longer registered on ebay'...

My seller had a photo on his profile- a picture of a man in a male nurses uniform. Looking very trustworthy.

2 weeks ago I was searching the listings and found a high-end fishfinder for sale. Some of the wording was similar. The feedback profile was very similar. There was an identical typo. The sellers profile showed a picture of a man holding a baby. The seller had registered a month before- as had many of those leaving feedback for him. Some of them were no longer registered.

I reported the item to ebay as being fraudulent and got a message back saying they would investigate within 24 hours. The item had a few days to run. I checked when the auction finished and it sold for ?1131. Requested payment method was direct bank transfer....

I checked today and the seller is showing as 'no longer registered on ebay'.

I've no doubt that ebay will refuse to divulge any information on the buyer and whether they were conned out of ?1131 (plus ?19 p&p) but I'll bet the victim would be interested to know that ebay didn't act on a report of fraud and stop the auction.

sandyborthwick

I Have a simple philosophy here with ebay. Small value items upto say ?50 no problem with paypal as long as a good long substantial feedback(at least several months). Large value items - don't bid/buy unless item can be paid for on collection - seeing is believing. Anything else is great for looking but potentially financially painful and avoided like the plague. Bought a nice +?2,000 car on ebay once paid on pick up. I always work on the principal do not bid more than you could afford to lose. Like anything good the con men will always find a way to move in.

Sandy B.O.

Pearly Invicta

I'll certainly never use ebay again unless the seller uses Paypal.

Ebay changed it's compensation program a few months ago (quietly) so that the only protection available is via paypal.

Any report to ebay gets a standard reply. You can only report an item as non-recieved 30 days after the listing ends- even if it is clearly a fraud. Any emails between you and the seller are deleted after 30 days...all of which discourages reports of fraud to the police.

polecat

Hi Pearly, I also got ripped off with an eloborate ebay scam. Bought an ultrasound scanner from a veterinary surgeon in Spain who said his practice was upgrading theirs, had emailed to and fro before the auction ended, knew all about the item etc. When it came to payment we arranged that I would send 1/2 the money when I had evidence the item was on it's way, the rest when I had received and tested it. I went to my bank to find the safest way to send money and they recommended a direct international bank transfer (cost me ?30) as I had all the sellers details.

I got emailed a scan of the receipt and delivery label from UPS with all correct details. Went onto UPS website where you can track a parcel by it's number and there it was, so I sent the payment. Never arrived. Contacted UPS, said that item had never been sent. Got pestered from the seller for rest of the money with excuses about the delay in sending, then told me the parcel was with UPS in London and I would need to collect it. UPS said that the item had been booked for collection but held up by the seller and never collected. Went to bank- useless, E-bay- useless.

Went to police- went thro everything with the fraud squad. Apparently getting parcel details onto the UPS tracking page was a known scam. Ultimately the polis were useless too, after loads of contacting them and leaving messages I got told the Spanish authorities would not be interested, and the value too little(?!) to follow up. Even though I had the guys name, address and bank details. Needless to say the seller disappeared from ebay then.

That was last year and recently I saw a different ultrasound scanner on auction, different seller but all the same indicators that it was the same guy. Ebay wasn't interested. I consider it an expensive lesson well learned and still use ebay but am very cautious and only for fairly low value items.

I have wondered if there was any way of using this guy's details to seek some revenge- any ideas??

Regards, Polecat

Go To Front Page