News:

The Best Fishing Forum In The UK.
Do You Have What It Takes To Be A Member?

Main Menu
Please consider a donation to help with the running costs of this forum.

breathable waders

Started by johnsd, December 15, 2006, 09:14:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

johnsd

Thinking of buying a pair breathables for next season any recommendations obviously being a miserable bast*** i do like a bargain been looking at shakespears wader and boot combo about ?80 any thoughts anyone.cheers John
yer going where

haresear

John,

I've done the whole lot, or should that be hole lot?

Whether Simms or Scierra make them, they are all punctured by thistles and brambles, so where you fish is a major consideration.

If you decide to go breathable, there are design factors to consider. Avoid seams on the inside of the leg. Avoid seams running underfoot.

None are as durable as old style rubber waders, but they are lighter and much more comfortable if you are walking a bit. Also fractionally less smelly.

I usedto get maybe 3 years out of rubber waders. Now with breathables I would say one year for cheapos and two for top of the range.

Alex
Protect the edge.

johnsd

Dear spam eating Guinness drinker thank you for your advice but have to rule out the R.T waders as they are made for skinny chaps with extra long legs as I'm perfectly proportioned they don't fit.thanks for the reply Alex i use an old rubber pair thigh waders when up at hillend no trouble going through bushies.Cheers John
yer going where

Richy

Now don't take this the wrong way........................you don't need breathable waders as ye dinnae move fast enought to break into a sweat  :lol: :lol:

Sorry, I take that back.....................yer always first in the queue when there's grub on the go !!!!

All the best

Richy

johnsd

Its because your such a good cook richy boy :lol: :lol:Cheers John
yer going where

haresear

QuoteAlex i use an old rubber pair thigh waders when up at hillend no trouble going through bushies.

John, you'll know the script then. Why do do you need breathables at Hillend? To run away from the Buckie boys?

Seriously, breathables are good when you are doing a lot of walking. I'm primarily a river man (although I have fished Hillend) and find them worth wasting my money on. If I only fished Hillend, there would be no point in buying breathables. 

Alex
Protect the edge.

lnelson20

I love the post's by these three,and names are not neccesary,it's like the three stoogie's :lol: :lol:

All the best you's

Chris.
c.nelson

johnsd

Alex I?m sorry if I gave you the impression that I only fish hillend the idea of buying breathable was for the summer when I might give the highest loch challenge a go :wink:, I found carrying the float tube with neoprene?s  a bit hot Cheers John
yer going where

haresear

John,

It was just my idea of a joke. No offence intended.

Breathables are your best bet for walking in. There was another thread on here re breathables v neoprenes for tubing, but I can't find it at the moment.

Personally, I would carry the waders and put them on when I reached the loch (I've been there, done that and worn the extremely sweaty T shirt).

I've used breathables for tubing on Rannoch moor and found them OK, but have not done this at the start of the season nor in very cold conditions.

Alex
Protect the edge.

Andrew Moray

Hi,

I have the Scierra Aquatex stocking foot chesties.
It's the only pair I've owned, so no other reference, but I've found them to be very good.

They've got a couple of repairs, due to GOML's making access to the river more difficult than it should be,
but the intergity of the material is still OK.

The felt-soled boots that came as a package deal are a different matter though.
Trying to take 3mm off 20 studs with a set of pliers and a hacksaw blade wasn't fun  :D

Anthony

Go To Front Page