News:

The Best Fishing Forum In The UK.
Do You Have What It Takes To Be A Member?

Main Menu
Please consider a donation to help with the running costs of this forum.

Wader repairs

Started by Hill loch gold, June 11, 2017, 09:50:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

corsican dave

i'm glad you guys have spoken up, Bobfly & Sagecirca... i thought it was just me.

i got a pair of "warranty return" waders from him a couple of years ago as an emergency answer to a leak just before a holiday. same issues as you've described; so much glue they couldn't possibly leak, and next to impossible to put on. plus they were described as "nearly new". no chance. obviously heavily worn and incredibly dirty. dirt fell off them when i opened the package. price was nearly as much as a pair of new waders with a sale price. service was remarkably off-hand and they were actually delivered to a garden centre 2 miles down the road from me, 2 days after they were promised. fortunately they recognised my name and address and got in touch.

i'm rather glad i didn't send my other ones to be repaired.

If people don't occasionally walk away from you shaking their heads, you're probably doing something wrong - John Gierach

Lochan_load

I'm going to give the acetone thing a go. Bought a bottle from eBay, there's tons on there and it's 99% acetone.

I was going to use Diver dave at one point but another member said the same thing about the feet.

alba

I's had my greys repaired twice from Dave now. Great job both times all be it quite a lot of glue used, my mate did send his away at the same time as mines and when his came back( the same time as my ones) there was so much glue on them he could hardly get them on so I've seen both sides of the coin.

Mine are now leaking bad again at the seam on the right leg, what's the best way of pin pointing the leak.

Laxdale

Quote from: nacnud on June 11, 2017, 09:21:57 PM
I've had two pairs repaired by Dave with no problem and bought two pairs from him when my original wore out - all with no problems

I got a pair of refurbished Visions from Dave 2 years ago that I used for working. No problem with them.
I have a pair of Cabelas that he has seamsealed twice now. They lasted two years each time and are going back for another check soon.
I shall get another pair from him at the same time.
New waders, of all makes, are that poor now that a lot of guys send them to Dave to be checked/seam sealed before use!
I watched Tony Black climb in to a brand new pair of expensive waders one morning at Murthly. He toddled in to the river up to his armpits, and stood there long enough to smoke two fags. He declared them "ok" when he got out of the waders, and when I asked what he was up to he said that was the third pair.....the first two failed the test. Given they cost quite a few 100s retail, it was an eye opener!

Bobfly

I didn't realise things have got that bad  :( :( :(  Anything costing these amounts should go straight back to the retailer. Maybe best to buy Orvis or Simms afterall ?? 
The waders I wear the most are the PVC Oceans brand, a bit heavy but tough as old boots so to speak and very reliable boot-footed jobs so no hassle with wading boots and mucking about. That is for float tubing.
For hill lochs or rivers I am rarely much over my knees so pinprick leaks and damp bits in so-called breathables are nowt to worry about anyway.
~  <°))))):><       ~   <°))))):><

Lochan_load

I bought hart ones recently, not dear for waders but still 120 quid. Leaked second time out  :roll: they look good and fit well but the seams are clearly crap. I'm going to try and sort them myself. Not top line but surely they should do what they're designed for at least a while!

Laxdale

Quote from: Bobfly on June 12, 2017, 07:20:45 PM
I didn't realise things have got that bad  :( :( :(  Anything costing these amounts should go straight back to the retailer. Maybe best to buy Orvis or Simms afterall ?? 
The waders I wear the most are the PVC Oceans brand, a bit heavy but tough as old boots so to speak and very reliable boot-footed jobs so no hassle with wading boots and mucking about. That is for float tubing.
For hill lochs or rivers I am rarely much over my knees so pinprick leaks and damp bits in so-called breathables are nowt to worry about anyway.

Simms 800 quid jobs are just as likely to leak straight from the box as other waders.
I had Orvis ones do that

loch coulter

i know they dont have a good reputation, but i bought a set of greys breathables about 4 or 5 years ago, also bought the greys boot at the same time, albeit i dont do  THlot of river fishing but they are still going strong, no leaks and i always hang them up to dry after use, the boots are felt soles but i put greys studs on them and they are the bees knees.

alba

Quote from: loch coulter on June 12, 2017, 08:45:44 PM
i know they dont have a good reputation, but i bought a set of greys breathables about 4 or 5 years ago, also bought the greys boot at the same time, albeit i dont do  THlot of river fishing but they are still going strong, no leaks and i always hang them up to dry after use, the boots are felt soles but i put greys studs on them and they are the bees knees.

Exact same mate, greys Grxi have lasted me years as have the felt sole boots. Massively underrated in my opinion

Wildfisher

Quote from: sagecirca on June 11, 2017, 05:35:50 PM
I think his repair process involves turning the waders inside out and either using a some kind of spray gun or brush and literally coating the entire wader with said glue regardless of where the actual leaks are.  I've no idea why he has to do the feet if they don't leak.

I have often wondered if breathable waders are still breathable after going through this process.

Go To Front Page