News:

The Best Fishing Forum In The UK.
Do You Have What It Takes To Be A Member?

Main Menu
Please consider a donation to help with the running costs of this forum.

PSFGC guide to stupidly expensive reels you might actually need... or not

Started by corsican dave, May 29, 2017, 08:10:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Wildfisher

Quote from: bibio1 on September 27, 2017, 09:40:56 AM
Are they really necessary?

IMO absolutely, definitely  not, not for trout fishing in Scotland anyway. However, owning good quality gear can be a pleasure in itself and good reliable performance turns one variable in the equation into a constant.

My Sage rods don't catch any more fish than a Greys of Shakey, but they are are absolute delight to use  and I'd hate to go back "downmarket".

If you can afford good gear then why not? There are worse things to spend your hard earned cash on.

Captain conger

Quote from: corsican dave on September 27, 2017, 09:05:02 AM
ahoy there Captain! yes, you're quite correct. most of the time most of us could carry our line around in a stripping basket & not bother with a reel at all.you'll see i touched on this on the first post on the thread  :8) the thread is intended to allow folks to share their experiences of reels good or bad, expensive or otherwise :D
Fair point, I am bad for a wee tangent here n there. Suppose my point should really be I generally have a good experience regardless of the kit and I can't offer any review cos I don't even know what is I use. It may come back to haunt me some day.
A bad days fishing is better than a goods day working as they say

corsican dave

so, please do feel free to review any reels you have used or owned, folks; expensive or otherwise  :8)
If people don't occasionally walk away from you shaking their heads, you're probably doing something wrong - John Gierach

arawa

Quote from: corsican dave on September 27, 2017, 10:44:03 AM
so, please do feel free to review any reels you have used or owned, folks; expensive or otherwise  :8)
I used Leeda LC 40 reels for many years that were very cheap and perfectly functional. I still have them and if I need a line other than a floater on my #7 Sage rod then I use them to this day. I expect they will still have plenty of useful life when I have to hang up my rods.
However, I find there are some items – especially fishing tackle - that if you pick them up have a mystical ability to transmit "buy me" orders direct to your credit card without any intervention from the brain. One such item for me were Sage Click reels to go with my #4 and #3 rods for fishing small hill lochs. They seem to weigh nothing. They are almost works of art in their design and simplicity. The noise of the ratchet when a decent fish strips line is thrilling. Although just a reel, and stupidly expensive, and they do not enable me catch any more fish than the LC40s, I just love them!
[attachimg=1]

Wildfisher

There is also an Apple iPhone / Nike trainer element to this, but I'm not sure everyone would like to admit it.     :lol:

Lochan_load

Quote from: admin on September 27, 2017, 11:29:16 AM
There is also an Apple iPhone / Nike trainer element to this, but I'm not sure everyone would like to admit it.     :lol:

I wear Nikes, Have an iPhone and use a sage reel  :gay4

corsican dave

Quote from: Element on September 27, 2017, 10:29:51 PM
Are you sending the reel back to them dave - or did they just say keep it / bin it? - If the latter - have you considered the possibility of having it repaired? In 6 months time (  :lol: ) I will have finally finished building the work bench in the garage, after I have tiled the floor, emptied said garage into the big workshop shed - which will have been insulated and ply clad on the inside roof and walls - and have built the work benches in it... point is - eventually after some time yet, I will have his metal lathe rebuilt and working in his garage & I dare say he'd be delighted at the prospect of maybe milling a tiny 2/1000" off a surface so it spins as it should... Maybe someone else might have a lathe and could do the same job before we could... Downside (if it is one) is that the nice shiny blue powder coating might not be quite so pristine after it has been fixed...

E

said engineer is in the process of constructing a mandrel to try to fix it  :lol: the central spline & spool over-fit is fine. we've already got it working, it's just the spool is a bit wonky. to be honest, a new spool would fix the issue. Maxcatch refunded the money immediately and told me to keep the reel. can't say fairer than that.  :8)
If people don't occasionally walk away from you shaking their heads, you're probably doing something wrong - John Gierach

Wildfisher

At the end of the day people buy what they can afford. Price is what most people have to consider, the fact that rod or reel  "A" might last 3 times longer than "B"  is irrelevant if you can only have enough money to buy "B".

Ryanair.

Laxdale

Once my Shakey salmon reels fall to bits, I am going to move on to reels from here-

http://danielsson-flyreels.se/en/

I know a lot of guys who fish a lot of hours with them and have never had any problems. Not overly daft money involved either.

I am sticking with my System 2 for single handed work. Bullet proof and perfectly adequate.

corsican dave

they're very nice Gordon, you won't be disappointed  :D

very smooth & incredibly well engineered. plus the delivery service direct from Sweden is nothing short of remarkable. i think it was two days from order to delivery  :shock:

only (very minor) niggle is that the handle is a bit on the wee side (L5W series)

Go To Front Page