News:

The Best Fishing Forum In The UK.
Do You Have What It Takes To Be A Member?

Main Menu
Please consider a donation to help with the running costs of this forum.

Wading Jackets

Started by Robbie, May 12, 2017, 01:28:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Robbie

May as well completed the set of question on wader apparel.

I normally just use a lightweight water proof jacket for all my fishing. Really getting fed up with getting wet sleeves, this is more of a problem when float tubing. I have looked at a few wading jackets but it is difficult to get a look at many in the flesh without travelling significant distances.

I'm thinking something with a neoprene or rubber cuff would do the best job of keeping water out. Have you come across anything like this? or perhaps recommend a suitable jacket?

sagecirca

Have a look at kayaking jackets.  Usually a fair bit cheaper than fishing jackets and pretty robust.  Only thing is they tend to be quite bright in colours and some of them aren't so breathable.

corsican dave

best sleeves i've come across are on Vision and (somewhat predictably) Simms. better closures than most mountaineering jackets i've sold. virtually waterproof.....

the Vision Sade is particularly robust, but quite short. the new Lohi looks like a belter. their own breathable fabric, but that's not an issue. broadly £200-ish or just under

mine lasted just over two years with canoeing, biking etc. taping started to come away eventually, but it'd been hammered

upgraded to Simms Guide jacket (the "basic" one), just because it's Goretex, therefore covered by Gore's warranty which i know & trust, and also because it's basic & bomb-proof. broadly £300-ish, so not cheap. but the usual PSFGC criteria apply  :lol: i wouldn't go for the fancy ones with all the pockets anyway.

the problem with the kayak cags is breathability, even the supposed breathable ones. you will overheat in normal fishing conditions. you'll be very comfy in the cold!! and a decent one isn't actually much cheaper than a good wading jacket (mine was about £150), which is far more versatile. remember, they're over-the-head and no front zip....
If people don't occasionally walk away from you shaking their heads, you're probably doing something wrong - John Gierach

Wildfisher

I have a wading jacket and I never use it.  With waders, a shirt, a Berghaus fleece and a fly vest things are already starting to get a bit warm most of the time! If it's colder I'll  add thin synthetic thermal layers  under the shirt and trousers. I carry a short Orvis breathable waterproof jacket at all times  to  keep off the rain / wind if needed.

If it's too cold with all  that then I reckon I should not be fishing anyway!   :lol:

rannoch raider

I've got an older style Orvis wading jacket, the olive green and brown olive one. Its a fantastic jacket with lots of freedom to move, very comfortable cuffs and pretty nearly waterproof seals on them. It has a big hood, a high zip neck /chin and tightens round the waist to keep the breeze out. I mainly use it in winter and early spring. In summer I tend do as Fred does with a few layers and an Orvis Encounter lightweight wading jacket that packs to around the size of a standard soup can (@£100). Both Jackets are great at different times of the year. I'm really impressed with Orvis gear.

Robbie

I've noticed the bump on the Simms make special reference to their cuff system.

Loads of chest pockets could be good on a river but if being worn on long walks in to remote lochs when a rucksack is required could be an area of increased wear so simpler layout may be preferable.

Thanks for all the pointers guys.

corsican dave

Quote from: Robbie on May 12, 2017, 06:10:57 PM
Loads of chest pockets could be good on a river but if being worn on long walks in to remote lochs when a rucksack is required could be an area of increased wear so simpler layout may be preferable.
aye, that's why the basic guide, in heavy duty gore, is ideal. just two big pockets & none of the faff.

i'm also with Jim in that the Orvis kit is great. you kinda' don't want to like it, but actually i've not seen a bad bit of fishing kit from them. i think it's the gash, middle aged old fart clothing catalogue that winds me up....  :lol:
If people don't occasionally walk away from you shaking their heads, you're probably doing something wrong - John Gierach

alba

Scierra wading jacket I use just now I've had for about 5 years is the best I've ever had and hate the fact they discontinued it, neoprene cuffs under the outer sleeve, keeps water out. I wouldn't buy an other unless it was very similar. Ive been in some heavy rain in it aswell and never got wet.

tomcatin

Being off "a more generous" size, I invested in a lightweight and a heavyweight Orvis wading jackets (no idea of their model names but they are perfectly sized for big fellas  :D)  ........ both are five years old and apart from a wee bit of damage to one of the wrist seals on the heavy duty jacket (barbed wire fence incident) they are both storm-proof and generally arm wetting proof.

The Orvis jackets rely on a Velcro adjustable seal which minimise water ingress but cannot eliminate water ingress from prolonged immersion
Sadly my 7' 5 weight that killed fascists is deceased!

So in respect and in memorium, PLEASE DONATE TO AND SUPPORT THE WILD FISHING FORUM

Robbie

Has anyone seen the Hodgson kit up close?

Go To Front Page