News:

The Best Fishing Forum In The UK.
Do You Have What It Takes To Be A Member?

Main Menu
Please consider a donation to help with the running costs of this forum.

Hardy jet switch 8/9

Started by Hill loch gold, December 26, 2015, 11:13:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hill loch gold

A surprise xmas present from the mrs yesterday. I was wondering if anybody knew any lines i could match up with this rod (maybe speydulika could help). Its rated 450-550 grains.

Alan

speydulika

You haven't said what length the rod is and the length would help determine my final choice. As it is a switch rod do you intend to overhead cast it? This also determines my final choice. If you want a switch line that will overhead cast as well as Spey then I would consider a Barrio switch line. If you want to Spey cast only then consider an Airflo Rage Compact. I have never cast a Jet switch but my experience of Jet rods is that they tend to be lightening fast. They also seem to need a relatively heavily rated line. With this in mind I would personally look at something around 550grains rather than 450.

Fishtales

Quote from: speydulika on December 27, 2015, 01:31:09 AM
You haven't said what length the rod is and the length would help determine my final choice. As it is a switch rod do you intend to overhead cast it? This also determines my final choice. If you want a switch line that will overhead cast as well as Spey then I would consider a Barrio switch line. If you want to Spey cast only then consider an Airflo Rage Compact. I have never cast a Jet switch but my experience of Jet rods is that they tend to be lightening fast. They also seem to need a relatively heavily rated line. With this in mind I would personally look at something around 550grains rather than 450.

It says 11' on the blank in the image.
Don't worry, be happy.
Sandy
Carried it in full, then carry it out empty.
http://www.ftscotland.co.uk/

Looking for a webhost? Try http://www.1and1.co.uk/?k_id=2966019

speydulika

Quote from: Fishtales on December 27, 2015, 09:07:22 AM
It says 11' on the blank in the image.

I missed the image as I was reading the thread on a mobile phone in bed. The head length on the Barrio Switch and the Airflo Rage Compact lends themselves readily to 11ft rods so for me it would be a question of whether I wanted to cast overhead as well as Spey. 

speydulika

Having looked on the Barrio Website his heaviest switch line is 8/9 at 470gr. I fear that this may be a little light on your Jet. I would therefore go with the Airflo Rage Compact. I hope that this helps you

Hill loch gold

Thanks very much. I would be speycasting as well as overhead casting. I've been considering swapping it for the 7/8 but i'm not sure yet.

Alan

Wildfisher

Yes, I'm told  some of these  Barrio lines are not great. I'd go for the Airflo Rage Compact   :lol:

speydulika

The Rage Compact is an excellent Spey casting line. It is not too hot for overhead casting as the weight distribution in the very short head does not lend
itself too well,to overhead casting.

Wildfisher

I have heard some great reports about the latest generation of Aiflo floating lines from some very critical users. The memory issues gone and amazing buoyancy.

corsican dave

Quote from: admin on December 27, 2015, 10:32:23 AM
I have heard some great reports about the latest generation of Aiflo floating lines from some very critical users. The memory issues gone and amazing buoyancy.
well that's good to hear, 'cos their saltwater lines were truly awful. great thick things that you wouldn't even want to tie a boat up with  :lol:

If people don't occasionally walk away from you shaking their heads, you're probably doing something wrong - John Gierach

Go To Front Page