News:

The Best Fishing Forum In The UK.
Do You Have What It Takes To Be A Member?

Main Menu
Please consider a donation to help with the running costs of this forum.

Useless or Seldom Used Crap

Started by Wildfisher, March 08, 2015, 07:30:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Wildfisher

When in New Zealand the other week our Kiwi pal John picked up my fishing vest and exclaimed  "what the f***"   :lol:

You can cut down on  the number of flies and nylon you carry, but that's not where the serious weight is. Getting the weight down can be tricky, especially if you have to carry a net, wading staff, camera, water and lunch.

What's the answer? Is there one?

corsican dave

used to be called a manservant or a bearer in the good ol' days.... most guides nowadays are a bit lightweight, to be honest. I think they expect you to carry your own crap  :lol:
If people don't occasionally walk away from you shaking their heads, you're probably doing something wrong - John Gierach

Part-time

Dont' know if it's the answer but what works for me is a small backpack - currently using a Karrimor Urban 30 (ex-schoolbag no longer cool enough for eldest daughter :)). Carries all the stuff you dont need to hand like food, drink and waterproof jacket when its not raining and you can hang your net off it. All the fishing stuff I need to hand is on a lanyard round my neck, as copied from Alan & Deergravy, and a wee fly box in a shirt or trouser pocket.

haresear

The weight is in the food and drink,the net and maybe a waterproof jacket, if you aren't already wearing one :)

There is no way around that unless you ditch the net, which is an option on some waters. You could have a big breakfast and skip the packed lnch, but then what would you do when you are waiting on the hatch happening?

Whether you carry it in a waistcoat or a wee rucksack, it makes no difference.  You still need the same stuff :)

Alex
Protect the edge.

burnie

I've got a Camelback which not only has my drink for the day, but small pockets hold some energy bars. Sits on my back like a rucksack and don't really know it's there .

Wildfisher

Quote from: Alan on March 08, 2015, 09:09:12 PM
What more stuff is needed?

Essentials for a day on the river would be

Rod
Reel
Camera
Permits
Box of flies
Spools of nylon
Spare tapered leader
Deet
Midge Net
Gink / mucilin
Cutters / disgorger
Polaroids / glasses
Hat

None of that weighs much. This is where the real weight is

Food
Water Bottle
Spare pullover
Waterproof Jacket
Net

haresear

Quote from: Alan on March 08, 2015, 09:09:12 PM
If i think of the boot of your car it would stop me sleeping, whats this 'stuff' exactly? box of flies, tippet, scissors, amadou thing, floatant, sinkant, is round my neck, rod in hand, food(i take a lot) drink, spare leaders and jacket in bag, net goes round bag...

What more stuff is needed?

The contents of my car boot are a mystery even to me :)

The "stuff" I take is just the same as yours. That is my point :) There is nothing to pare down. Do you really need that amadou? :)

Alex
Protect the edge.

SoldierPmr

Depending on the day I can usually fit mosted into a wax jacket.
Caset reel with floating and inter line.
Multi tool,
Forecept,
2 fly boxes,
Florucarbon leaders 8,6,5,3lb
Hip flask with a small dram (depends on the day)
Polaroids,
Rod in rod tube slung over the shoulder.

That's what I can think of top of my head usually though I just take a over the shoulder diawa wildeerness bag.

Part-time

Quote from: haresear on March 08, 2015, 08:56:39 PM
The weight is in the food and drink,the net and maybe a waterproof jacket, if you aren't already wearing one :)

There is no way around that unless you ditch the net, which is an option on some waters. You could have a big breakfast and skip the packed lnch, but then what would you do when you are waiting on the hatch happening?

Whether you carry it in a waistcoat or a wee rucksack, it makes no difference.  You still need the same stuff :)

Alex

I think I misunderstood the original post a wee bit - nothing unusual there :)

I guess you need what you need. Water is heavy so I guess one of those water filters could be used if you didn't think the water safe to drink straight from the burn; energy bars, dried fruit etc instead of a 1lb pork pie; lightest waterproofs, camera, binoculars money can buy.

To be honest I dont find a waterproof jacket, food, a litre of water and a wee net in a backpack a burden anyway - probably weighs less than the dozen fly boxes and spare reels I used to lug around :)

haresear

QuoteTo be honest I dont find a waterproof jacket, food, a litre of water and a wee net in a backpack a burden anyway

Nor do I :)

I have plenty of excess weight I could and should shed in the form of body mass. That's where the surplus is for me :(

Alex
Protect the edge.

Go To Front Page