News:

The Best Fishing Forum In The UK.
Do You Have What It Takes To Be A Member?

Main Menu
Please consider a donation to help with the running costs of this forum.

Beavering about..

Started by Sandison, May 15, 2014, 10:26:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Wildfisher

So how would you suggest beaver modification of water courses be handled?

Wildfisher

I agree to a point, but the previous SG took such advice and decided not to go ahead with the trial (which appears to be a shambles) because of possible implications  under EU law. The current lot for reasons best known to themselves reversed this and frankly took the politically  cowardly  route when it came to dealing with the illegal introductions that have made a nonsense of the trials  they authorized and are spending  our money on.  You could not make this up.

In case you have not you should read this

http://www.highlandperthshirenews.co.uk/general-landuse-environment/beavers-in-scotland-their-confused-legal-status

Trees have already had to be cut down on the main A92 at Forfar because they had been made unsafe by beaver gnawing and could have fallen on traffic. It's a real shame for these animals, like the mink released from fur farms by animal rights idiots they are only trying to gnaw out a living. Many are bound to be shot or trapped openly or otherwise.

As I said above I think beavers could improve trout fishing for reasons already explained, I have nothign against these animals, only the idiots who are responsible for spreading them around and undermining the case for their reintroduction  and the politicians without the balls to tackle the problems.

Wildfisher

As I read it the overall shambles would make it unlikely shooting them would be illegal as they were illegally released. I'm sure the SG could find out in 10 minutes if it wanted to.

Bobfly

1. The SG do not want to find out just at the moment....
2. Any confused situation means endless court actions and endless delays ....

Here is picture from America to give folks an idea of how they adjust their habitat:-

[attachimg=1]
~  <°))))):><       ~   <°))))):><

bibio1

I think I heard one of the unintended consequences was a cross breed with mink and the beaver were not able to compete with them.

Seems strange but quite a scary thought

Wildfisher

Quote from: Bobfly on May 18, 2014, 07:10:25 PM
Here is picture from America to give folks an idea of how they adjust their habitat:-

Remind me never to park my Morris Traveller  near the Dean water   :D

[attachimg=1]

Midgie Hater

Quote from: admin on May 18, 2014, 06:04:07 PM
what about the issue of beavers modifying  water courses?   What are your views on how that potentially serious issue should be handled?

Did you threaten to overrule him?

I did not overrule him.

Quote from: admin on May 18, 2014, 06:08:51 PM
So,  do you have  any idea how it might be handled?

I did not overrule him.

Quote from: admin on May 18, 2014, 06:14:16 PM
So how would you suggest beaver modification of water courses be handled?

I did not overrule him...

Well, that's what I was reminded of anyway  :lol:

Wildfisher

Believe me, I'm far worse than Paxman.  :lol:

Midgie Hater

Perhaps you should've done my old job then since maybe you were better suited? My old Editor used to call me the Sergeant Wilson of Scottish radio journalism  :lol:  Then again it seemed to work. Politicians are often wrong-footed somewhat if you're actually nice to them when they expect a mauling. This then sets things up nicely for a coup-de-grace. I still chuckle when I think of Bruce Crawford's "bunny caught in the headlights" look towards then end of one initially benign interview.  :devil;

sinbad

Can they not be treated a bit like deer ? We mostly all like seeing furry/hairy animals living in the wilds but like deer too many in an area cause problems and sometimes the numbers get culled back. Maybe even get wuperts to pay to shoot berties  :D 
I had no idea when i asked to join this fishy forum what extra entertaining nuggets i was to get treated to ! Sb.
PS. Ken i had forgotten that clip LOL

Go To Front Page