News:

The Best Fishing Forum In The UK.
Do You Have What It Takes To Be A Member?

Main Menu
Please consider a donation to help with the running costs of this forum.

Coleman stove bargain

Started by Lochan_load, February 03, 2014, 11:59:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lochan_load

Two pronged post here, firstly a heads up that Go outdoors are selling Coleman perfect flow stove for a £5, picture below from amazon where they are £18.99! Bought one this morning and looks the part and nice and light and seems pretty solid.
Second part of the post is to see if anyone knows of a cheaper alternative to the Coleman m1110 propane canister to use with it?

Suki1312

Put a thread up about these a couple of months ago , think I paid £6 for mine a see there now a fiver . As you say alternative source for gas would be good . Tried mine out cracking stove
Every day is a school day

Lochan_load

You get the burner and stand, no canister, it's good quality especially for a fiver, I'll find out the ins and outs and stick it on this thread

Wildfisher

Guys, IMO  these type of stoves are a scalding / tent fire waiting to happen. I have seen too many accidents  with that style. The design is inherently unstable, with a pot on top the center of gravity is way too high and the whole thing far too likely to topple over. Not good inside a tent or outside in the wind I prefer this style - much more stable.  Keeps everything near ground level. Slightly heavier, but I'd  rather carry a few extra ounces and be safer. It's also easier to shelter  the burner from the wind if it's not way up in the air.
[attachimg=1]

Fishtales

Mine is that style too Fred. I had the Camping Gas stoves for years and, although I never had an accident or knocked one over, I was never happy with them. Trying to get a decent spot that was flat was the difficult part. Even the slightest tilt was exaggerated by the height and made them unstable. Much easier to stick a wind shield around it too :)

[attachimg=1]
Don't worry, be happy.
Sandy
Carried it in full, then carry it out empty.
http://www.ftscotland.co.uk/

Looking for a webhost? Try http://www.1and1.co.uk/?k_id=2966019

Guddler

Found this for when I use my gas burner.
Fold out the legs and their are little spikes mounted in them you can pop out and secure the whole thing down with. Makes it a lot more difficult to topple and costs less than £3

[attachimg=1]

Wildfisher

Sandy,  I was camping up at Loch Beanie - moderately windy - my stove was  burning perfectly tucked into the bank. The guy I was with had the tower set up as above and had to take the stove inside the boat house in order to get it to work safely and efficiently. I have used all kinds of stoves over the past 30 years from the old blue gas, primus, petrol flame thrower, trangia. I tend to use the mini trangia on day trips it's not the quickest, but what's the hurry?  I'm not going anywhere and like to chill out!  :lol:   I really enjoy the trangia ritual too and it is silent!  For most other occasions I use  the ultra-stable  ground level burner. As you say it's also easier to shield from the wind, an advantage that should not be underestimated.

Overall I prefer the meths stoves. Not as light, not as fast, but much more reliable. A guy I worked with was  backpacking in the middle of nowhere when his gas burner stopped working one morning. Meths does not stop working. Perhaps there are issues in the Arctic or up Everest, but in Scotland it's fine.   :lol:

Midgie Hater

Quote from: admin on February 03, 2014, 02:18:32 PM
Guys, IMO  these type of stoves are a scalding / tent fire waiting to happen. I have seen too many accidents  with that style. The design is inherently unstable, with a pot on top the center of gravity is way too high and the whole thing far too likely to topple over. Not good inside a tent or outside in the wind I prefer this style - much more stable.  Keeps everything near ground level. Slightly heavier, but I'd  rather carry a few extra ounces and be safer. It's also easier to shelter  the burner from the wind if it's not way up in the air.

Totally agree Fred. I had an Epigas/Coleman stove of that type for many years and always had to resort to either propping it up with rocks or keeping it an inconvenient distance from the tent. Sandy, your method is something I had to employ for years :) Like both of you I went for the lower profile with hose type. A very inexpensive one too. The Webtex Warrior.

http://web-tex.co.uk/index.php?act=viewProd&productId=1459

The likes of MSR et al are, i'm sure, much more durable in the long-run but i have to say i'm very pleased with the price/performance and controllability of the Webtex. And i should add that I got mine for a lot less than the quoted £22.50 price on the company website :)

On the subject of stoves, and specifically propane/butane screw cannisters. I mentioned Epigas above. Does anyone else think, as I do, that the Epigas cans were far more efficient, lasting much longer than the Colemans?

Billy

I use a Primus Express Spider Stove.

Same style as Freds and fits in your hand. I used the older style for years and great once you get a flat bit out of the breeze but I upgraded last year to cut back on weight and bulk for long trips into the wilds.

Billy

Fishtales

The webtex warrior is the one I got for George, my mate.

http://www.surplusandadventure.com/shop/camping-outdoor/cooking-eating/cooking/web-tex-warrior-gas-field-stove-524097.html

I can't find the one I have. It uses one 250 propane/butane cylinder for a six day trip but carry a spare just in case. George used just over 250 and was using his spare. That could be down to the way he cooks though :) That is cooked breakfast and dinner with a cold lunch. Just one kettle of water each time.
Don't worry, be happy.
Sandy
Carried it in full, then carry it out empty.
http://www.ftscotland.co.uk/

Looking for a webhost? Try http://www.1and1.co.uk/?k_id=2966019

Go To Front Page