News:

The Best Fishing Forum In The UK.
Do You Have What It Takes To Be A Member?

Main Menu
Please consider a donation to help with the running costs of this forum.

Braid or Nylon for a Centre Pin

Started by Highlander, January 25, 2014, 04:00:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Highlander

Looking to reload my centre pin reel (Marco Contessa).
Any advantage/disadvantage in using braid instead of nylon. I have floating nylon on just now 4lb bs which is fine but I hate the feel of so small a diameter nylon. Was thinking of maybe 6/8lb Dyneema braid instead as a change. Just wondered what your thoughts were. Only issue I can think of is "will it float" which is advantageous when trotting a float other than that nothing comes to mind or should I just stick to floating nylon.
Tight Lines
" The Future's Bright The Future's Wet Fly"

Nemo me impune lacessit

Inchlaggan

I've not done much trotting, but there are plenty of braids that float very well indeed.
Our colonial cousins in the USA and Canada seem very fond of it. Use the term "bobber" in any Google searches.
You will feel every pebble and you should be able to remain "in contact" over much larger distances.
I'd certainly give it a go if I still had a centre pin.
'til a voice as bad as conscience,
rang interminable changes,
on an everlasting whisper,
day and night repeated so-
"Something hidden, go and find it,
Go and look beyond the ranges,
Something lost beyond the ranges,
Lost and waiting for you,
Go."

martin devine

I have both 6lbs fireline braid and 4lbs mono on my centrepins and nearly always use the braid.
It floats and mends better than mono but can freeze up in very cold weather.
It is also far easier to set the hook at longer distances.
I have some spare fireline which you can have to try foc if you wish.

Noddy

Alan , do you have the Marco Cortesi Mk 1 or Mk2 reel ?  I have both had mk1 liked it and bought mk2 as I thought the lineguard was a good thing.  I am now back using the Mk1 have got a 6lb Okuma line on it but use a lighter hook length/leader.  Must put the Okuma line on the Mk2 and try it, find the Mk1 spins so much freer than Mk2.  polishing the spindle with Brasso and adding sewing machine oil has helped.

Jim

Highlander

Mk2 Signature, Only ever had the Mk 2 & it spins forever. A great reel for the price really is.
Why people pay £200-£300 for a similar product is beyond me. After all a centre pin is as simple a reel as it gets so why the high price. For around £40 for mine is a no brainer.
If weather settles next week I will give it a spin on the Gryffe. Was out a river bank walk/fish during a lull in water heights & located a few Grayling shoals so saves me a bit of time spotting, fly this time a Endrick Spider on tail & a Red Tag as dropper done the trick They can be hard to find at times as they can be in one area one week & moved on the following. Fish were small but overall the river is improving. The high waters of late have not helped.
Tight Lines

Nemo me impune lacessit

oystercatcher

Hi,
     I use Fireline also on my Adcock Stanton centerpin, tried nylon but found that the braid peeled of the reel better. Only problem is in cold temperatures the braid does tend to freeze more than nylon which can be a pain in the "bahooky" but prefer braid over nylon IMO.

Highlander

It never ceases to surprise me the generosity of forum members. Martin Devine in an answer to my initial question  kindly tells me he has  "some spare" braid I can have to try & low & behold what turns up in the post today
Not "some spare" but a
" A  spool of Berkley Clear Fireline"
Martin you are a gentleman.

Tight Lines

Nemo me impune lacessit

Noddy

My mate put braid on his new Okuma centre pin.  Went to watch him with using it, the reel was not performing well. Noticed a strange noise as he retrieved his float it was the braid against the rod rings.  It sounds like someone taking sand paper to the rod.  Having said that the braid was not his problem.  He contacted Okuma and found out that he had to degrease the bearings and apply oil!  I would have thought that a new reel would have been supplied ready to use.

Jim

Go To Front Page