News:

The Best Fishing Forum In The UK.
Do You Have What It Takes To Be A Member?

Main Menu
Please consider a donation to help with the running costs of this forum.

Local shops closing

Started by Suki1312, January 14, 2014, 05:56:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Suki1312

Well went a wee wander into the local tackle shop today , more for a nosey but there is always something catches the eye . Usual banter with the girl behind the counter . Had a browse through the tying gear , picked up some thread and cheap capes , was going to pay for it and she said it's your lucky day 25% off today , I thought superb . So the conversation turns to the usual January sale patter , to which she replies no we're closing down at the end of the month . I asked if she was winding me up she said no my dad's retiring and its not busy enough now to keep it going . I know there is a big trend to buy online now , Christ a do it regularly , but at what cost we seem to be losing too many of these small shops , this particular one has been there since I was a boy . It will be missed  :(
Every day is a school day

Wildfisher

Yes, I know what you mean. they are dropping like flies. I think the independent tackle shops who stay in business must also trade online . Angus Angling in Forfar shows it can be done.

hopper

Aye, Aaron said the tackle shop that I new as Broon's of Aberdeen years ago closed down in November, you would think Aberdeen could support two shops but am as guilty as the rest and shop on line too.

Suki1312

Quote from: admin on January 14, 2014, 06:01:37 PM
Yes, I know what you mean. they are dropping like flies. I think the independent tackle shops who stay in business must also trade online . Angus Angling in Forfar shows it can be done.

Too true . It's a necessity nowadays . It's a shame always think these small family run shops will go the extra mile too help you .
Every day is a school day

shad

Sad to see so many go to the wall, even a few big tackle dealers have shut- Mullarkeys was always good for budget kit.

Seem to be a lot of fly fishing traders working from spare rooms or sheds these days, hard for someone with a shop to compete.

I suppose its worse in Scotland where a lot of fishing is fly or lure, down south coarse anglers visit their local shops regularly  to get fresh maggots and  bait.

Stonepark

I think it is more that a lot of the older shops have tended to stick to the 'middle market' and have suffered due to declining patronage.

GAC and AA both are modern, spacious, can try rods out and whilst not perfect carry a lot of stock and therefore attract customers.

Most traditional shops that are closing, you want anything but the average, it is difficult to source and you have to wait, or they won't stock it and people go where they get the service (whether bigger 'superstores' or online.

The main downside is that whilst the local shop in an emergency could furnish a replacement, online or traveling is unable to do so.
"Just My Tuppenceworth!"

Harpo

Country Life in Edinburgh is up for sale, if no buyer found it will close in April :(

Wildfisher

Quote from: stonepark on January 14, 2014, 08:32:25 PM
Most traditional shops that are closing, you want anything but the average, it is difficult to source and you have to wait, or they won't stock it and people go where they get the service (whether bigger 'superstores' or online.

Exactly. Things change, especially people's expectations,  and those who do not adapt die. It's just the way things are.

shad

Quote from: Harpo on January 14, 2014, 08:46:23 PM
Country Life in Edinburgh is up for sale, if no buyer found it will close in April :(

Crikey that's a good shop as well.

tomcatin

Quote from: Harpo on January 14, 2014, 08:46:23 PM

Crikey  :shock:

A really good shop with friendly informative and helpful staff!

At least this is one store I have done my bit to support (its too handy to escape the tedium of work at lunchtime for a wee browse and the inevitable purchases)

As sad as the news in the OP or for that matter the loss of local bookshops, bakers, butchers, greengrocers or good old fashioned record shops!

Sadly my 7' 5 weight that killed fascists is deceased!

So in respect and in memorium, PLEASE DONATE TO AND SUPPORT THE WILD FISHING FORUM

Go To Front Page