News:

The Best Fishing Forum In The UK.
Do You Have What It Takes To Be A Member?

Main Menu
Please consider a donation to help with the running costs of this forum.

Outdoor Trousers

Started by Malcolm, December 11, 2012, 08:00:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Malcolm

For some of the time clothes don't matter much. However I tend to buy expensive and wear until they fall apart.

Good boots? I have worn trainers on the hills for most of the hills and most of the hill lochs I have done. - that includes over 100 winter Munros as it happens. The ones I use have no waterproofing (so you very quickly get wet feet but then forget about them) but are very light and grip like velcro - much better than any boots.
There's nocht sae sober as a man blin drunk.
I maun hae goat an unco bellyfu'
To jaw like this

Malcolm

Soles don't look great Mike - these are the ones I use:

Walsh PB Elite Trainer Review

and in action on me in the Cuillins on a November trip

[attachimg=1]

Coming off the Dubhs and heading to Sgurr Nan Eag
[attachimg=2]

and the mandatory pipe at the end of a trip!

[attachimg=3]

Ah well it's December now so good memories keep us going!

There's nocht sae sober as a man blin drunk.
I maun hae goat an unco bellyfu'
To jaw like this

Traditionalist

I have only had them a few months so I can't really comment on the wear etc, but they grip well except in clay mud and similar.  I don't wear them a lot as I usually wear various waders, but I have had no problems with them and with "shit keppers", you stay dry even in wet grass etc.  I bloody hate cold or wet feet.

I have these from a local supplier, but you can find lots of them on the net. I also spray mine with permethrin.

http://www.gooutdoors.co.uk/mens/footwear/accessories/gaiters

Bobfly

For the lightweight hill runner approach using Walsh trainers with Sealskin socks is really good and giving dry feet and warm. Much better than the gloves which I do not seem to find that warm.. I used to have the New Balance trainer model which was very similar in its sole to the Walsh and they did very well. Sealskins with cheap light boots is also a great way to go
~  <°))))):><       ~   <°))))):><

Wildfisher

Quote from: Bobfly on December 13, 2012, 07:25:30 PM
Sealskins with cheap light boots is also a great way to go

This is a combo I have used for a few years. Sometimes the light boot makes more sense. Again as I said above, horses for courses, no over engineering.

corsican dave

material for flame testing on its' way from sweden as we speak. may be post-new year due to post etc. why sweden? because there hve been none returned in the uk this year... i'll pop up the photos as soon as i can.

fred, can we please drop this silly "everest" nonsense? it's a red herring. malcolm's original brief was "super-tough". that, i'm afraid, rules out craghoppers.

incidentally malcolm, you may like to check out the klattermusen gere pant with keprotec. will last a lifetime!
If people don't occasionally walk away from you shaking their heads, you're probably doing something wrong - John Gierach

Traditionalist

Klaettermusen have a very good reputation here, but I have never had any. They have a big clearance sale on it seems;

http://www.klattermusen.se/webshop/fyndlistan2/fyndlistan_EN_loo86qbz4v4288ziwua762lpa_2_1x.php

scroll down for the pants.  This is the gere;

http://www.klattermusen.se/webshop/fyndlistan2/fyndlista_produkt_EN.php?art_nr=150406

Wildfisher

Quote from: corsican dave on December 13, 2012, 08:09:07 PM
malcolm's original brief was "super-tough". that, i'm afraid, rules out craghoppers.
Fair enough Dave, but this seems to have gone beyond that into a more general discussion, that's what tends to happen on forums. We are even onto boots and trainers now.   :D  I would really hate to think that anyone reading this would come to the conclusion that there is no place for lower priced  outdoor clothing when quite clearly many of us do use it  for particular applications and circumstances and are delighted with the performance vs value for money.  I won't  pretend  that my mountaineering ability, experience or  knowledge of outdoor gear comes anywhere near yours, but I do know what works for me as others here do.

Not every fishing trip needs a Sage TCR  or a Hardy Angel . Sometimes a Shakey  does the job just as well or occasionally even  better depending on where you are and what you are doing.  :D

Allan Crawford

Malcholm were you ever a hill runner, I know a few others who swear by Walshes for everything, the Cullin can wear them out quickly though.
As for trousers, light weight fast drying midgie proof, for summer either African multi coloured baggies, cant remember what they were called, or Regattan or Peter Storm, anything cheap that fits. Winter Ron hill / Parmo combination. In summer I just let my legs get wet. None of which have the properties you are looking for but work for me.
Have to say my Parmo have had loads of thorns and crampons through them, major holes been sewn up or patched. Still keep me dry on the hill though maybe not the best for sitting in a boat on a really wet day. They must be about 15 years old and I'm amazed that they keep me dry at all but think its cause they breathe so well that you dry out quicker than the wet comes in  :D 

Go To Front Page