News:

The Best Fishing Forum In The UK.
Do You Have What It Takes To Be A Member?

Main Menu
Please consider a donation to help with the running costs of this forum.

To wade or not to wade....

Started by StuDoig, July 04, 2010, 01:27:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

StuDoig

heyho foks,
               New to this fly fishing malarky but having spend a couple of afternoons watching suspiciously fishy splashes way out of my casting distance around lochs I started thinking about waders and whether they would open up the opportunites for fishing hill lochs.

Is it a worthwhile investment for a newbie, or would you recomment sticking to bank casting or putting up with the occasional wet feet at first? 

Cheers all!

Stuart

Wildfisher

Stuart,

It depends on where you are going. If I am climbing a long way I don't take waders, however they are useful for general loch fishing and I would recommend you get a pair. If you are new to this  wild fishing lark it's probably better starting of by going to somewhere easy to fish like lochindorb - you would need waders there. I'm sure we can arrange a trip and show you the ropes.

Part-time

Hi Stuart,

There are plenty of lochs, particularly high up hilllochs, that you don't need waders for however you need them for some lochs and they can help on others so i'd get a pair of lightweight breathable chest waders. If I'm not sure if I'll need them or its a bit of a walk in I just hang the waders and boots from my backpack - they dont weigh much. Plenty of boots/wader deals for not much over ?100.

John

Wildfisher

Quote from: guest on July 04, 2010, 12:33:01 PM
I'm puzzled that many bank fishers feel that they need to wade and cast into a loch as far out as they can, whilst those same anglers in a boat will cast as close as they can to the shore :?

Yes, you see it all the time. It's called the Scottish Loch Fishing Paradox.   :D

StuDoig

Cheers for the advice all, very much appreciated - sounds like a cheap (for now) pair of waders may be an idea, though I'll be sure to always try to fish the shallows first incase!  I did seem odd that all the "teach youself" type articles etc on t'interweb spend so long emphasising the need to creep and stalk your way to the bank in case you spook the fish and also the frequency with which you have to wade out.  Ah well, I'm sure all will become clear with time!

A trip somewhere would be great - I've managed a couple of days out by myself so far this year (even caught a couple of suicidal fish) but really don't have much of a clue about where to look for the fish etc if nothing is obviously rising.

Stuck offshore at the minute (so far have missed May, 3 weeks of June and now 2 weeks of July!) bit will be keen to get out once I get back.

Cheers,

Stuart

Wildfisher

Stuart,

I'm going  away up north fishing with my two grown up sons (I'll still be paying for everything of course, -  it seems like  dads always draw the short straw  :lol:)  from the 10th July to 17th. We might be able to get something organised after those dates that will fit into both our busy schedules.   As long as you don't mind spending  the day with a grumpy auld  bastard (or two)  it should be relatively painless.  Let's keep in touch. We'll have you wheekin oot the bandies before you know it.  :lol:

StuDoig

Quote from: admin on July 04, 2010, 08:30:57 PM
Stuart,
Let's keep in touch. We'll have you wheekin oot the bandies before you know it.  :lol:

Heyho,
         Sounds like a plan!  I'm offshore till about the 15th Probably, then the lass has booked me for a weeks holiday on Skye (learning Gaelic!) but after that I'd definately be up for something.
I'll keep in touch and try and sort something that fits both of our diaries!

Quote from: Alan on July 04, 2010, 11:50:14 PM
most peaty hill lochs can be fished fine from the bank especially with a walk in, a nice compromise is sealskins socks(tried and tested) only to the knee but they are as comfy as normal thick socks, good for crossing bogs and rivers en route,

there are always odd lochs that catch you out, Laidon on rannoch moor or Sandwood loch for example are a long walk for 6'' of water, maybe the secret is know which one your going to, or just ask here.

Seal skins sound like a good idea there, I use a short pair for biking in the winter and with trainers (to dodge having to carry boots) for walking into mountain routes when climbing - definately worth a thought.

Local / firsthand knowledge is definately a plus before I set out.

Quote from: guest on July 05, 2010, 01:50:50 AM
I thought I'd post this pic of a wee loch where the trout feed very close to the shore in 'gillaroo' fashion on the wee mollucs that move around the stones. You can see where a fish has cleared a wee area in what must be about 4" of water.

Anyone wading or even paddling down that shore would move all these fish out long before they reached the point where they were feeding.

Cheers for that photo, makes the point well!

Cheers again all for the advice!

Stu

Malcolm

This is the only brand I take with me to the hill lochs. They're weightless, breathable and fit beautifully.

[attachimg=1]

There's nocht sae sober as a man blin drunk.
I maun hae goat an unco bellyfu'
To jaw like this

bushy palmer

Without doubt- Breatheable chesties are the best investment I've made for some years. I wear them for 90% of my Bank Fishing (ofter simply due to the boggy approach to the loch) and often for boat fishing as well ( this helps with setting off and beaching the boat where the water is shallow)

I went for the Greys and would thoroughly recommend them, although as some have already mentioned, there are various deals out there where you can get breathables and boots for about 100quid

IMHO - the best 100 quid you'll spend

StuDoig

Quote from: Malcolm on July 05, 2010, 04:01:30 PM
This is the only brand I take with me to the hill lochs. They're weightless, breathable and fit beautifully.

Now you mention them, I might have a pair of those somewhere.  Though I think mine are such a luminescent white not even the peatiest loch would stop them scaring the fish!
:)

Go To Front Page