News:

The Best Fishing Forum In The UK.
Do You Have What It Takes To Be A Member?

Main Menu
Please consider a donation to help with the running costs of this forum.

Building my own canoe

Started by Malcolm, November 09, 2009, 05:05:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Malcolm

Thanks for the advice everyone. I think I'll go with Sandy's tip unless Bob thinks otherwise. He's the boss!

There's nocht sae sober as a man blin drunk.
I maun hae goat an unco bellyfu'
To jaw like this

Pearly Invicta

Sandy, what would you recommend for a spare bedroom?

Inchlaggan

Quote from: Pearly Invicta on November 27, 2009, 06:46:08 PM
Sandy, what would you recommend for a spare bedroom?
Turn it into a workshop and build a boat ot two....
'til a voice as bad as conscience,
rang interminable changes,
on an everlasting whisper,
day and night repeated so-
"Something hidden, go and find it,
Go and look beyond the ranges,
Something lost beyond the ranges,
Lost and waiting for you,
Go."

sandyborthwick

Davy I'd forget the wallpaper - one of my pet hates :lol:.

Sandy B.O.

Malcolm

Despite the low temperatures the polyester resin has set but took 72 hours! The inside is now fully taped and today was down to removing all the copper ties. Basically just snipped and some pull out but others we have to leave then grind down using a power file.

[attachimg=1]

Next we have to fill the gaps with polyester filler before fiberglass taping the outside. That's for later in the week...

To jaw like this

Black-Don

Looks as thought it's fair coming on Malcolm.

"Then it's getting painted. Marine grade paint costs a fortune so suggestions from the pros on the forum would be appreciated"
See my previous post about varnish Malcolm. If you have any watermarks or mildew on the wood you could always try varnishing and if it doesn't look too great then just paint over it.

These type of canoes look stunning varnished. Yeah you can still see the tape but it kind of becomes a feature and talking point as it all goes crystal clear and all you can see is the wood through the tape.

Malcolm

A minor set back caused by the cold weather. We thought the resin had set but up at the bows it hadn't and when we took the copper ties off a day later it had sprung. So we had to do it again and this time baked it hard using a fan heater.  Once we get the filler into the joins and put the extra tape over the outside this won't be an issue but until we do then while this is going on we're doing the seats.

This is a surprising tricky operation as the seats have to fit very well to a curved and sloping chine before being glued and pinned into place. Even a very small deviation will have an effect. So we use a measuring tool constructed like this to get all the measurements precise

[attachimg=1]

Then we have to cut and plane the supports at an angle

[attachimg=2]

And where it's going to sit.

[attachimg=3]
To jaw like this

Malcolm

Nothing much going on at the moment. The gunwales have been cut and the scarf joints made and the seats and cross bar temporarily fixed. We can't work with polyester resin in these low temperatures so we'll just get some work done if the temperature rises above about 6 deg.
Here's where we are:
[attachimg=1]  
To jaw like this

paulr

It's looking great Malcolm. Bagsy a go when it's finished!  :wink:

doogs

Haven't heard how this is going Malcolm, is it still too cold?

Go To Front Page