News:

The Best Fishing Forum In The UK.
Do You Have What It Takes To Be A Member?

Main Menu
Please consider a donation to help with the running costs of this forum.

Glasgow Casting Club

Started by Blanefishing, August 13, 2009, 11:42:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

gasman

So the whisker is about 12 years old . I do like this rod . It is a true joy to cast. I have not fished with it yet, but looking forward to this  :D

The thought of braken this rod would piss me of big time so i am trying to find spares just in case.

Thanks Gary

Fishtales how do you brake you rod and how easy do you replace it?

Fishtales

Too long ago to remember :) I think it was strapped to my rucksack and I either slipped and fell or dropped the rucksack and the rod was sticking out below and the top three inches broke. I now carry the rod all the time. If I slip it goes one way as I go the other :) I always have my rod permanently strung, as the Americans say, but broken down for easier carrying.

To replace it I went into Cafaro's wiggled a few rods about a bit and settled on a Daiwa glass rod, can't remember the model. Did the same when I upgraded that to the CF96 and the WF98 that followed. I will probably do the same with the next rod I get. I did buy a 9'6" 7# four piece off eBay that is a nice rod but I only use it as a backup and has only been out of the bag once :)

It is a green blank. This is it.

[attachimg=1]
Don't worry, be happy.
Sandy
Carried it in full, then carry it out empty.
http://www.ftscotland.co.uk/

Looking for a webhost? Try http://www.1and1.co.uk/?k_id=2966019

haresear

I had a 9' CF96 #5/6 until it broke unexpectedly at Loch Voil after years of use. I replaced it with a WF98 model taking a #4-6. I still have that one , I think. It is great for playing fish on.
I have had a WF98  9'6'' #6/7 (now at the bottom of Loch Sionascaig), a WF98 10' taking a #6-8, a WF98 11'3" taking a #5/7 (sold both of these) and a 15' WF98 taking about a  #10/11. I still have the salmon rod.

Alex
Protect the edge.

Wildfisher

I have a couple  of whisker flies, I think Magnus has them actually. Nice relaxing rods for loch style short lining  from  the boat. Far  too floppy and heavy for much else IMO certainly compared  the rods I use now anyway.

gasman

Alex the WF98 #4-6 is there anyway you could bring this to the casting club on sunday ?

Thanks Gary  :8)

Wildfisher

I don't see anything at all surprising in any of that Alan. Under-lining or over-lining a rod and adjusting your casting accordingly.   :?

haresear

QuoteAlex the WF98 #4-6 is there anyway you could bring this to the casting club on sunday ?

Gary, I'll have a look in the tackle shop loft :)

I may not be there on Sunday if the grayling day at Newtyle goes ahead. I think a late pitch inspection might be in order for that, given the weather.

Alex
Protect the edge.

gasman

Just wacthed the waether forecast there not to good. That would great Alex.
I am curios about how an older rod made in the 1990 compairs to todays rods
What action does the rod have?

Thanks Gary.  :8)

haresear

QuoteWhat action does the rod have?
I'd call it a full flex, or through action, but not floppy.

It bends through to the butt when playing a fish. A great wee rod for letting quite modestly sized fish show their fighting spirit.

If I'm there next week Gary, I'll bring a selection of light rods to play with.

Alex   
Protect the edge.

scotty9

Gary, how old is your whisker?

Go To Front Page