News:

The Best Fishing Forum In The UK.
Do You Have What It Takes To Be A Member?

Main Menu
Please consider a donation to help with the running costs of this forum.

New Wader recommendations

Started by np01, December 04, 2008, 06:30:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

np01

Have been systematically patching my stockingfoot breathable waders most of the season with Aquasure. Was out on Sunday on the Clyde at Abingdon (-6 degrees C) and discovered two new leaks, one in the foot and one in the knee. Think it's probably time to think about replacements. So has anybody any recommendations re new waders? Also what's the expectation of the lifespan for a pair of breathable stockingfoot waders? And any ideas about how to extend this?

Thanks

Nick

bibio1

I have spent  FECKIN fortune on waders. What I do is buy them from the states on ebay. Simms G3 for half the price. I have had them 4 years now and they are still going. All the others I have tried have leaked after a couple of months.

Paul

Malcolm

Had my stocking foot Orvis Guide waders for a lot of years now 8-10. No leaks yet. However I don't wear them on a daily basis - I use a pair of latex waders if I'm just down for an evening at the local river. Maybe 100 outings over the years?
There's nocht sae sober as a man blin drunk.
I maun hae goat an unco bellyfu'
To jaw like this

haresear

No easy answer to those questions.

It all depend where you fish, how often you fish and how much you walk in waders.

I fish the Clyde a fair bit. It is grazed by sheep in the upper reaches, so the main hazards are thistles and barbed wire (charging cattle and vicious rocks too at times).

The banks of another river I fish seem to be one big bramble bush. The waders don't like that.

What I am thinking of doing is using breathables (chesties) all year round.

In winter, I'll wear a pair of cut-off old neoprenes on my legs only, underneath the breathables.

In summer I'll either wade wet as I have taken to doing recently, or I will wear the neoprene legs outside the breathables, as a bramble-proof layer.

What do you reckon? Good idea or not?

Alex

Protect the edge.

alancrob

Alex

I don't know about the neos inside! I just add extra thin layers so I don't sweat up too much. Base layer and fleece leggings.

As a barrier on the outside.....Geeeeenius. As long as they are not too tight. How about cutting them along the length and fixing some velcro straps so you can just wrap them on?

I can now prove intelectual property on that idea, but feel free to share the profits if you go into production.

Alan

Wildfisher

Quote from: haresear on December 06, 2008, 02:32:12 AM
In summer I'll either wade wet as I have taken to doing recently

You obviously don't live in Aebirdeenshire..........you get too many ice cuts on your legs wet wading in the Don. Only between  between January and December though.  :D

Go To Front Page