News:

The Best Fishing Forum In The UK.
Do You Have What It Takes To Be A Member?

Main Menu
Please consider a donation to help with the running costs of this forum.

To wade or not to wade....

Started by StuDoig, July 04, 2010, 01:27:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Wildfisher

With a dug that size no keeper would dare ask you for a permit.  :D

Malcolm

I sell them under the brand Imperator Novus Inviduia (I think my schoolboy Latin is going to be clobbered by the classics scholars on here!) - ?80 per pair including RMSD.
There's nocht sae sober as a man blin drunk.
I maun hae goat an unco bellyfu'
To jaw like this

Wildfisher

I'm a tights man myself. Much more dignified and better when the midgies come out to play.  :D

greenwell

Quote from: admin on July 04, 2010, 12:35:29 PM
Yes, you see it all the time. It's called the Scottish Loch Fishing Paradox. 

That must be the official description, I call them a Pain In The Arse.  Why oh why oh why do people feel compelled to wade up to their tits then start casting as far as they can, without having fished the water immediately on the shoreline.  Of course there are no prizes for guessing how much line is lying at their feet when they start getting hits but 10yds min would be a reasonable starting point.
           My advice - get a pair of cheap waders so you have the option of using them but whatever you do search the first 10yds of water from the bank, in fact stand well back from the water's edge to do so. Near then far I think someone once said, even more important early season when the only water likely to have been warmed enough by the sun to get insects active will be less than 4' deep.
    And it is true, boat fishers tend to either drift down the shoreline casting in towards it, or take to open water where unless there are areas of shallows or particular features then there are likely to be fewer trout. Concentrate on areas 2 - 4' deep and you'll not go far wrong, with decent amounts of weed growing from plenty rocks to provide cover and patchy sand in between you will find more than enough fish to keep you busy.

Greenwell

paulr

I can't recall ever wading in a hill loch, it's just not necessary.
cheers
Paul

Inchlaggan

I generally only wade where this is required to accommodate my (pathetic) casting.
That is to remove the obstructions to my back cast.
Ken
'til a voice as bad as conscience,
rang interminable changes,
on an everlasting whisper,
day and night repeated so-
"Something hidden, go and find it,
Go and look beyond the ranges,
Something lost beyond the ranges,
Lost and waiting for you,
Go."

StuDoig

Quote from: greenwell on July 07, 2010, 09:58:02 AM

My advice - get a pair of cheap waders so you have the option of using them but whatever you do search the first 10yds of water from the bank, in fact stand well back from the water's edge to do so. Near then far I think someone once said, even more important early season when the only water likely to have been warmed enough by the sun to get insects active will be less than 4' deep.
Concentrate on areas 2 - 4' deep and you'll not go far wrong, with decent amounts of weed growing from plenty rocks to provide cover and patchy sand in between you will find more than enough fish to keep you busy.

Cheers Greenwell, the "near then far" advice seems pretty solid based on the number of folk who have given it - I'll be sure to fish the shallows first.  On a recent trip out on one of the lochs above Glen Clova i did spot at least one trout loitering right at the edge in a couple of inches of water and the fish I caught would have been in a couple of feet of water nicely emphasised the point!

Cheers

Stuart

StuDoig

Found a pair of breathable waders on a good deal so have gone for it!

Thanks again folks for the help and advice!

Cheers,

Stu

whinging pom

Quote from: The Whaup on July 15, 2010, 01:31:54 PM
Bloody horrible colour though.  :P

....... But very enlightning for one of the token Englishmen.. So the Scots are naturally blue skined, (and white up when theres abit of sun around).
By the way we had the firsty rainy day of the whole summer today, what a blessed relief from all the boring endless sunshine we have been suffering!

.......i guess thats me banned, I'll get my coat.

Go To Front Page