News:

The Best Fishing Forum In The UK.
Do You Have What It Takes To Be A Member?

Main Menu
Please consider a donation to help with the running costs of this forum.

Microfibbets

Started by Wildfisher, October 29, 2015, 01:11:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Wildfisher

I have had a pack of these for some time but never used them being concerned that the stiffness might push the fly away from a rising fish if they contacted the fish, say on the nose, before it got the fly into its mouth.

Anyone had experience of these or have any evidence of this happening?

Robbie

I had the same concerns over using Micro-fibbets for the tails of LDO imitations. After standing in a prolific hatch on the Luther I struck me that the tails were quite prominent and possibly a significant trigger point. in the end I tied some flies using both Micro-fibbets and deer / elk hair, did not really keep and accurate count of the relative success but have always felt more comfortable using deer / elk hair tails.

bibio1

I have used them for years and not had any real issues. In fact I prefer them.

nacnud

Used them for years for Tweed trout with no problems

haresear

Quote from: nacnud on October 29, 2015, 08:12:00 PM
Used them for years for Tweed trout with no problems

I have always had the nagging thought that a sipping trout might push the stiff microfibbet away, but it is probably unfounded.

Just in case :), I use coq de leon or moose tail as tailing materials.

Alex
Protect the edge.

shad

Used them a lot for smaller flies, mainly 16-14 but found they didnt look right on bigger stuff like LDO imitations but maybe that was just the colour I have which is a medium dun.

Highlander

Bought these many years ago, tied a few olives using them. My first thoughts were that they were too stiff but wither it caused any problems with a taken fish I think probably not. Having said that & though I do not use these flies too often, I know I really should I have other methods of tailing.
Coq De Leon are probably the best, a most useful feather indeed . A stripped hackle stalk of the right size thickness can be utilised it certainly would have the taper required. Moose is good I am told but I personally have not tried them though American anglers do. One thing I did look at was fibres from a paint brush if indeed you found the right one would give you 1000s of tails for a fraction of the cost of Microfibbets.
Bet an artist brush of Badger hair would be good.

Tight Lines
" The Future's Bright The Future's Wet Fly"

Nemo me impune lacessit

Wildfisher

I think Sandy uses fibers from a draft excluder.  They are good on windy days.    :lol:

Fishtales

Quote from: admin on October 30, 2015, 09:04:08 AM
I think Sandy uses fibers from a draft excluder.  They are good on windy days.    :lol:

Correct, and I also have a couple of old shaving brushes too which are good on (h)airless days :)
Don't worry, be happy.
Sandy
Carried it in full, then carry it out empty.
http://www.ftscotland.co.uk/

Looking for a webhost? Try http://www.1and1.co.uk/?k_id=2966019

Go To Front Page