News:

The Best Fishing Forum In The UK.
Do You Have What It Takes To Be A Member?

Main Menu
Please consider a donation to help with the running costs of this forum.

how not to carry rods on cars

Started by corsican dave, September 17, 2015, 04:26:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

corsican dave

I've always thought that cars charging along the A9 (for instance) with fishing rods on magnetic rod carriers was pretty ludicrous. i mean, one stone chip or similar at 60mph and that's your expensive rod destined for the bin. i guess it's more a case of showing off than practicality? strange  :?

however, i saw a belter last night; someone was actually driving along with two rods the wrong way round  :shock: yep, reels on the roof and tips literally bouncing on their bonnet.
laugh? i nearly put my car in the ditch...  :lol: :lol:
If people don't occasionally walk away from you shaking their heads, you're probably doing something wrong - John Gierach

Bobfly

Seat Alhambra or VW Sharan ..... these take up to 11' rods all set up and all inside  :D :D :D (Plus the float tubes of course !)
~  <°))))):><       ~   <°))))):><

Inchlaggan

A mate of mine was following a Volvo estate along the A82. The guy had four salmon rods on suction holders along the roof and the whole lot bounced off and he drove on oblivious. My mate got the car registration and picked up the rods- quality rods and reels. He took them to the local police station and the PC called in the registration, laughed and said "come back in six months and you will be the proud owner of some nice gear, he won't come back to claim them".
Turns out it had happened before to this driver. That time they had hit and damaged a following vehicle and he had been fined.
Sure enough my mate got the rods.
'til a voice as bad as conscience,
rang interminable changes,
on an everlasting whisper,
day and night repeated so-
"Something hidden, go and find it,
Go and look beyond the ranges,
Something lost beyond the ranges,
Lost and waiting for you,
Go."

Bobfly

~  <°))))):><       ~   <°))))):><

shad

Yeah , Ive seen the point of those carriers,for ghillies fair enough. One guy near me drives about with them on all the time.Uses it as a way to get conversations going to let folk know he goes salmon fishing, forgets to tell them that hes in a crap syndicate that costs £200 a year of course!

Anyway this did remind me of a great tip I read, for breaking rods in half and keeping tidy in car use 2 hair clips like this-

corsican dave

Quote from: shad on September 18, 2015, 06:59:46 PM

Anyway this did remind me of a great tip I read, for breaking rods in half and keeping tidy in car use 2 hair clips
to be fair, it's about the only use you'd have for hair clips..... :lol:
If people don't occasionally walk away from you shaking their heads, you're probably doing something wrong - John Gierach

shad

Quote from: corsican dave on September 18, 2015, 09:06:56 PM
to be fair, it's about the only use you'd have for hair clips..... :lol:

I new that would be coming  :D

corsican dave

I use rod holders myself occasionally. but I can assure you this is a very, very long way from the A9

JimJams

I'll be using them on the Harris trip next week, plan on moving around quite a bit and it'll save some space in the car too.

Go To Front Page