News:

The Best Fishing Forum In The UK.
Do You Have What It Takes To Be A Member?

Main Menu
Please consider a donation to help with the running costs of this forum.

Price of Flies on E-bay

Started by Black-Don, May 07, 2012, 08:11:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Inchlaggan

"Never underestimate the power of human stupidity."
If you doubt that statement, there is no hope for you.

Hand-tied, finest-quality, sure-fire, whumper-catchers available for sale. £3.25 each.  Special offer to Forum members, three for a tenner. PM me for details. Cash only, no returns, Terms and Conditions apply. Postage and Packing rates vary by Postcode.

P&P-PH35 £1.00, all else £17.50, Minimum order 100 of each pattern. Mixed Patterns add 25%. Delivery 60-120 days. All prices exclusive of VAT.
'til a voice as bad as conscience,
rang interminable changes,
on an everlasting whisper,
day and night repeated so-
"Something hidden, go and find it,
Go and look beyond the ranges,
Something lost beyond the ranges,
Lost and waiting for you,
Go."

Highlander

Will you take a cheque?

:roll:
" The Future's Bright The Future's Wet Fly"

Nemo me impune lacessit

Wildfisher

Quote from: Highlander on May 13, 2012, 06:27:47 PM
PS Caithness Flies, I do believe he ties his own flies & very good they are supposed to be.

Indeed he does and they are superb.  Neil is a member of this forum.

Black-Don

Traditionalist

Quote from: Alan on May 13, 2012, 07:59:50 PM
there is a classifieds advert for a marc pittengean fly tying vice on another forum, ace bit of engineering actually, says he paid 500 odd quid for it, and another 60 quid for the lamp, taking the aforesaid comments about fools and their money into account, have we all not missed the point, its not the fly buyers that are getting fleeced here :lol:

I don't think it's very good myself but perceptions vary;

http://www.petitjean.com/presse/?p=252

TL
MC

Wildfisher

Call me a cynic, but I take these reviews with a pinch salt, on-line or printed in magazines. Some of the time the reviewers get freebees sent to them, in some cases they are known to the suppliers.  IMO this cannot but affect the review. I know in some cases if the stuff is really bad it just does not get published at all. Hardly informative.

When I started having fly lines manufactured and selling them I took the decision not to go down the  "get your pals to write a review" route.   I believed the more honest route was to cut the crap, not be greedy and sell at a fair price. No matter what product you buy you take a risk. No amount of disingenuous reviewing  will tell you how you will get on with it, what one man finds good you may find  less so and visa versa. Some of the utter  shyte I have read on lines in particular makes me laugh.  :roll:  If   any small, independent supplier  is having lines made and selling for  more than 17 or 18 quid they are making a truly eye wateringly   MASSIVE %  mark up.

If I ever stop selling I'll   tell you what it is.   :lol:

Traditionalist

Quote from: Alan on May 13, 2012, 08:24:42 PM

i think you just made my point :lol: its one thing to buy a jumper, maybe even think hey, i like jumpers so much ill make my own, i could make loads and sell some to other people, its quite another to invest in jumper making equipment that has you loosing sight of the original jumper wearing experience, no matter how good the equipment.

True enough. In my opinion there are lots of much better and cheaper vices out there. That thing may be a nice piece of engineering but it's a lousy fly-dressing tool. Yes, I have used one. In fact there are not many I haven't used or owned.

TL
MC

Traditionalist

Quote from: Alan on May 13, 2012, 08:49:33 PM
on that basis i'd buy your flies, any price, and know i was saving a fortune :lol:

Various people have offered me ridiculous sums of money for flies over the years, but I don't sell anything, regardless of price.

TL
MC

Wildfisher

Quote from: Alan on May 13, 2012, 08:49:33 PM
on that basis i'd buy your flies, any price, and know i was saving a fortune :lol:
No one ties their  own flies to save money. I doubt it is possible. Fly tying is about flexibility and making yourself less dependant on others perceptions of what is right.  For example I  have yet to see a commercially tied Klinkhamer I would use. I do not really enjoy fly tying that much, but I see it as an absolutely essential skill.

Go To Front Page