News:

The Best Fishing Forum In The UK.
Do You Have What It Takes To Be A Member?

Main Menu
Please consider a donation to help with the running costs of this forum.

Horses for Courses

Started by Malcolm, April 16, 2011, 07:01:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Malcolm

This year I've been using an old glass rod for all my fishing and for most uses is as good or better than a modern carbon rod - it casts very short lines better than any carbon I've tried and roll casts better than most.

However casting into the wind is a real achilles heel so after yesterday's trial by wind on the Clyde (Met Office forecast  8 mph wind from the south - aye right - more like 15 gusting to 20 from the west)  I went the other way today: Sage TCR 5 weight - one of the fastest rods ever made. Again casting into a stiff breeze. Oh the joy - it was like turning off a headache. Every cast just pinged beautifully  as long as I could get at least 12 yards of 6 weight out. Of course it roll casts like a pig and you'd be as well fishing with a broomstick if you only have 4 yards of line out the tip.  
There's nocht sae sober as a man blin drunk.
I maun hae goat an unco bellyfu'
To jaw like this

Ythanjoe

What is a stiff rod like the TCR  like to play a fish on Malcolm ? I could do with something for wind other the #4wt ZXL, which is hopeless in my hands in more than a stiff downstream breeze. My two concerns are , can I cast with a stiff rod and will I feel anything on the other end , I can only try and do something about the first  :D
Joe

Malcolm

Joe,

I'd seriously not recommend it for fishing - at least not with a 5 weight. Basically the rod is an 8 weight with #5 marked on it.  It will easily aerialise 80ft of GT140 line once you get the hang of it. I've got it on long term loan from one of my neighbours as I'm pondering entering a distance casting competition in the Autumn but it took me several weeks of daily practice to get the hang of the bugger. I quite like it now!
I was using it with one of Fred's 6 weight Stealth fishers today and was deliberately casting from further away than I normally would. It is extremely good at casting into the wind but far too limited in other ways. It does play fish with no trouble - it's short distance and roll casting particularly where it suffers.
There's nocht sae sober as a man blin drunk.
I maun hae goat an unco bellyfu'
To jaw like this

Ythanjoe

Thanks Malcolm, thats laid a niggle to rest...
Joe

Wildfisher

Can't you get something a bit less extreme for fishing with Malcolm? Something like a Sage XP  or a Scott S4 will cast into the wind fine and they are still fishing rods. Using an aerodynamic fly helps too.  :D

Allan Crawford

GL3 5 weight for me for the last 15 years after buying it in Houston for about ?150.

I also have a shaky 6 piece travel rod, one of the first six pieces, its a very soft rod like glass fibre but like you say great for short range presentation. My only glass fibre rods are budget rods from when I started fly fishing and now wondering if I should give them ago for old times sake !

Go To Front Page