News:

The Best Fishing Forum In The UK.
Do You Have What It Takes To Be A Member?

Main Menu
Please consider a donation to help with the running costs of this forum.

Vacuum Packers

Started by bushy palmer, February 22, 2011, 12:04:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bushy palmer

dazdidge

have to agree with you on the super noodles etc. I would rather carry the extra weight knowing I have some decent food to eat. I have even gone to the extremes of carrying a couple of disposable braaie which can be split into four, two for breakfast two for evening meal (over 2 nights, I'm not a hobbit) But again it depends on the distance being carried.
Any bread drizzled with a wee drop of water and sealed in foil is good to heat near a fire.

As for the solar cooker I will be experimenting this summer with one. Apparently it doesn't need to be a hot day, just a sunny one. We get plenty of those here so it is worth a try.
For more ideas have a look at the bushcraft uk forums
http://www.bushcraftuk.com/forum/
and
http://www.ludlowsurvivors.com/

Black-Don

Quote from: Alan on February 25, 2011, 03:25:43 PM
Donald, im inspired, that was extraordinary, but now i'm thinking the coop do ace crusty rolls and i can get tinfoil there too :lol:

Definately saves on having to build a fire, praying for no rain over night and collecting eucalyptus bog myrtle branches too :shock: :lol:

Black-Don

Quote from: Alan on February 25, 2011, 11:58:55 PM
and wild garlic...apparently, all this stuff appeals to me but it takes some learning and planning, ray mears i aint :lol:

did once cook mussels one by rock pool, you heat a stone in a fire..near a cleaned out rock pool, stick the mussles in and roll the stone in, it boils instantly..actually quite explosively, voila, spectacular way to get boggin mussels :lol: paleolithic man did it apparently.

Paleolithic man got it wrong

If you have an open fire, collect your shellfish and cook them open side down on the embers, tasty  :wink:

:8)

bushy palmer

How good do those look? :)

When originally considering the vacuum packer, I had thought about cooking things like sausages. Hopefully sealed in the bag they'd keep for at least a couple of days without any contact with air to spoil them.

Part-time

I might be getting a wee bit carried away now  :) - Elements idea of freezing sausages could be used with thin sliced, quick cooking meat like minute steaks or similar. Thinking about trying my own favorite; thin slices of venison from the meat cut from the saddle (legally collected of course Andy :) ). When its defrosted add olive oil & dash of red wine to the bag and leave half an hour then venison onto the frying pan for not more than 40 seconds each side, adding a wee bit of salt and pepper. Might even be possible to add the olive oil/wine before but not sure if it would freeze well.   

bushy palmer

bushy palmer

Quote from: Alan on February 27, 2011, 04:44:35 PM
and a gas mask to take it out :lol:

Aye it spoils quite quick right enough.

I took some out of the freezer at Christmas and left it defrosting for a few hours to long- I could still smell it in the house two days later.

Go To Front Page