News:

The Best Fishing Forum In The UK.
Do You Have What It Takes To Be A Member?

Main Menu
Please consider a donation to help with the running costs of this forum.

shorter/lighter rod

Started by garryh, September 14, 2010, 04:44:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

garryh

i have been wanting to get a lighter loch rod for some time now.i used to fish exclusively from boats sometimes with fast sinking lines so my best  rods are 10 1/2 or 10 ft  7 weights.i am not sure whether to go right down to 5 weight or just drop to a 6.also i seem to have a bit of a problem convincing myself that 9 ft is not too small for some scenarios on the lochs.so i am looking at just going down to 9ft 6 i have tried casting some combinations at the G.A.C but its not really the same as being out on the loch with wind ,high banks etc.id like to hear any thoughts on the best combo 9ft 6 or 9ft #6 or #5.is there a loss of distance involved ?.help please Ive been going round in circles on this one  :?

cheers Garry
Education is important.
But fishing is importanter

Malcolm

Unfortunately Garry, you have to try them yourself.  We're all different and my pride and joy will be anathema to other folk and vice versa. I will say however that you shouldn't worry about dropping down in weight and length. I do a lot of my loch fishing with an 8ft 6 5 weight and also a 7ft 6 3/4 weight.
There's nocht sae sober as a man blin drunk.
I maun hae goat an unco bellyfu'
To jaw like this

garryh

cheers Bri that will be good I'm in no hurry its for next year I'm looking at.
aye Malcolm that's kinda what i was thinking myself,i suppose I'm just trying to narrow down my choices.
its probably just a psychological thing about coming down from 10 ft

Garry
Education is important.
But fishing is importanter

haresear

Personally I find it easier to cast a shorter rod (I like 9 footers) a long way than a long rod, but 9'6" should be ok.  You should feel it less tiring than your more powerful ten footer too.

If it was me, I'd go for the #5. you can always put a #6 line on it if you feel it needs it.

Alex
Protect the edge.

Go To Front Page