News:

The Best Fishing Forum In The UK.
Do You Have What It Takes To Be A Member?

Main Menu
Please consider a donation to help with the running costs of this forum.

Big 60 soon & what rod to buy, decisions decisions

Started by Highlander, September 20, 2008, 04:43:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Highlander

A milestone in Highlander's short lifespan, big 60 at tail end of year. Told the family no pairties & no strippers.

So a weeks holiday in Islay all paid for & a new rod. Andrew Moray thinks I am kicking the arse out of it asking for a reel too but lets start with a rod.
Now I have not bought a new rod for eons as the ones I have are if somewhat  heavy by today's comparison at least they dinae break on a regular basis.
So what do you suggest bearing in mind I like a good build quality. Something a bit different from the norm, a casting rod for the bank but something that is not stiff as a poker. Around 9-9.6" & two piece 6 or seven weight. Oh & nae daft money though I reckon I could squeeze a bit extra out the weans if I needed to but as Tony says lets not milk it.
Tight Lines
" The Future's Bright The Future's Wet Fly"

Nemo me impune lacessit

Andrew Moray

Hello Alan,

Not quite how I remember the conversation ... :D

If I remember right, you had a short blast with the Bloke 9' #7, how did you feel with that ?.
More than welcome to take it for a while to trial, this time with a reel that isn't wobbling  :D

Have heard that the #6 is a better rod, but haven't tried one.
Both 4-piece though.

Tony

shanksi

If you were interested in a Bloke rod I would contact Mick Bell who  would probably send you one to try.  Josh and I both have the original 9' 6# rod in the burgundy colour altho a later model was a brighter red. :shock:  We really like the rods and Mick has the best after sales service I know.

shanksi

Highlander

Nah, two piece for me. Fits nicely in the Roller.
Thanks for advice
Tight Lines

Nemo me impune lacessit

zeolite

Got an original Sharpe's Gordon recently and I really like it. But hey what do I know about trout fishing  :lol:
Schrodinger's troots pictured above.

Highlander

QuoteNot a Greys
Oh defo not a Greys
:shock:
Tight Lines

Nemo me impune lacessit

bibio1

I'm just about to turn 40 next year and contemplating buying a  blank and building the rod my self. Always fancied a 2wt. Why don't you do likewise. you get some bargains on ebay from across the pond.

Paul

Go To Front Page