News:

The Best Fishing Forum In The UK.
Do You Have What It Takes To Be A Member?

Main Menu
Please consider a donation to help with the running costs of this forum.

Leeda Profil v Leeda LC100

Started by piscatus absentis, August 12, 2010, 04:18:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

piscatus absentis

Leeda advertise the Profil as a successor to the LC80 and LC100.  Here is a comparison.

The LC100 is one of two I bought in the early 1990s which have been in regular use since then without a hint of trouble.  The construction is, I believe, carbon fibre.  A very simple reel that now seems to be worth over ?30 each on E-Bay.  It was supplied with two spare spools that can be changed simply and quickly.  Made in England I understand.  Does everything a reel should do and I?ve handled salmon up to 20lb on it and pike up to 15lb.  No complaints of any kind.

The Profil has an aluminium frame and carbon fibre spools.  Two spare spools are supplied.  It has a disc brake although I?ve never heard anyone saying that a disc brake is a necessity in this country.  The brake adjustment is a bit hit or miss and if you leave it off and then pull some line off the reel a birds nest results.  If you leave it on  you?re in danger of breaking your rod when you adjust it too tightly which is very easy to do.  Made in China it says on the label and the cost is ?30, just about the price of a new LC100 in the 1990s.  And I?m not suggesting that Chinese manufacture is suspect.

An honest verdict is that the Profil would be expensive at half the price and mine is going  into the cupboard beside the other unused reels.  Get on to E-Bay and buy an LC 80 or 100 ? a much better reel and why they felt it had to be changed is beyond me.  

Another thing I realised later is that the LC100 has a cage making it mush more robust.  No cage on the Profil so it may be susceptible to rough handling.

sandyborthwick

I concur PA never had need of much else than my trusted LC80 and LC100. Lots of spare spools to boot :D. Had new reels over the years but apart from a small shaky used on the rivers all else is down to LC's.

If they did new ones tomorrow I suspect like many others I'd be in that queue.

Sandy B.O. 

garryh

its not about what the customer wants nowadays its, about profit margins .obviously bigger on the new improved reel.

Garry
Education is important.
But fishing is importanter

Go To Front Page