News:

The Best Fishing Forum In The UK.
Do You Have What It Takes To Be A Member?

Main Menu
Please consider a donation to help with the running costs of this forum.

Cheap waders

Started by SoldierPmr, June 01, 2017, 10:15:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

SoldierPmr

Just having a think could you wear Gor tex trousers tucked into Gor Tex socks in hiking boots? Or would water still flood in? At the moment my waders have huge slits in the boots now so are completely useless.

arawa

I forgot my wellingtons once and tried a similar trick with Sealskin "waterproof" socks and gortex trousers. I got very wet feet and legs :(

Bobfly

Depending on your waders ... if they are a breathable material that will take Aquaseal glue or similar then cut off the feet from the waders and replace them with ex-army goretex oversocks. I used a pair of 10 inch high goretex socks onto a pair of old lightweight Orvis waders. They roll up very small and work just great. I made a wide overlap for the glueing and made two glue bands for the join.
~  <°))))):><       ~   <°))))):><

SoldierPmr

Quote from: Bobfly on June 01, 2017, 03:14:19 PM
Depending on your waders ... if they are a breathable material that will take Aquaseal glue or similar then cut off the feet from the waders and replace them with ex-army goretex oversocks. I used a pair of 10 inch high goretex socks onto a pair of old lightweight Orvis waders. They roll up very small and work just great. I made a wide overlap for the glueing and made two glue bands for the join.

Well my waders are shot at and being on a budget at the moment I thought I'm could maybe glue the socks to the trousers and make fairly reasonable waders.

Bobfly

Give it a go, why not ?  I don't mind if I get a bit of "dampness" in my waders anyway from pinhole leaks. Never any worse than damp trousers from a shower.

SoldierPmr

Quote from: Bobfly on June 01, 2017, 05:03:28 PM
Give it a go, why not ?  I don't mind if I get a bit of "dampness" in my waders anyway from pinhole leaks. Never any worse than damp trousers from a shower.

Oh I don't mind intact I've still been wearing them but soon as I leave the water its like water pistols shooting out of my boots its freezing every time I reenter the water especially around the family bits   :lol:

Laxdale

Give Diver Dave a call and be dry.......

Bobfly

The reason I had to cut the feet off the lightweight Orvis waders was because Diver Dave had lathered so much sealant over then that I could hardly get them on at all !!!  The wholly goretex new glued together model is working well in comparison.  :D

SoldierPmr

Quote from: Laxdale on June 01, 2017, 05:44:28 PM
Give Diver Dave a call and be dry.......

They are £80 diawas over 2 years old now hardly worth the postage let alone Dave's work. I'm just on a tight budget for the next few weeks.

arawa

Quote from: SoldierPmr on June 01, 2017, 06:23:08 PM
They are £80 diawas over 2 years old now hardly worth the postage let alone Dave's work. I'm just on a tight budget for the next few weeks.
I never wear waders but that did not stop me buying some in Lidl's tackle sale last year  :roll:. They are bootfoot chest waders with the legs and upper sections made of some kind of plasticised nylon so they roll up pretty small and easily fit in a rucksack.  They are obviously not as robust or as good to wear as the named brands but for occasional use they would be fine and with care should last a while. A friend uses a pair he bought at the same time to launch and recover his boat and no leaks yet.
The waders cost £12, and it was about this time of year that Lidl had its fishing tackle sale.

Go To Front Page