News:

The Best Fishing Forum In The UK.
Do You Have What It Takes To Be A Member?

Main Menu
Please consider a donation to help with the running costs of this forum.

Guideline Drifter pontoon

Started by tomsampson, March 30, 2014, 01:56:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tomsampson

I am looking to upgrade my float tube and quite liked the look of the Guideline Drifter pontoon. It seems that you sit more out of the water which appealed, but does that make it more likely to catch the wind. Any thoughts/tips would be much appreciated.

Wildfisher

Tom,

For  a bigger fellow like yourself the Caddis Navigator  2 tube is worth considering if you can still get them. I had one but it was far too big for me. I know a few others who had this tube who also rated it

Here is an article I wrote years ago.

http://www.wildfisher.co.uk/wildfisher/index.php/articles/articles-index-newest-first/293-float-tubing-on-wild-lochs

Bobfly

I thought about a twin pontoon boat type as a complete change from our float tubes. I decided against it for the very wind drift problem that you are thinking about. Mostly useful for big rivers Canadian/American style or on interior continental lakes with little wind. I wondered too about the bulk and the weight penalty and setting-up times and take-down time and packing it away all compared to the sling-it-over-your-shoulder of the tube. Then I wondered about the need to use your hands to row to make any change of position instead of just manoeuvering with your legs and able to keep on casting with a tube. Then inertia set in ........ and so I did nowt about it ...... !!
I have used a doughnut original Orvis then a Thomson "U" tube and now I have the last of Steve Parton's own "V" tubes. Very heavy duty and each of the four bladders mouth inflated with a life-vest type of manual valve. Very heavy duty solid job and no need for a pump. Most commercial pontoon tubes seem to have quite light duty airbed plastic type bladders and these can be changed for hand made bladders. Insofar as I can see the Guideline Drifter will be a good tube to have and easier through the water. You are still quite well down and stable but a slightly warmer seating position too I guess. Wind should only start to be be a problem when it is very windy. I have seen them in use in the Baltic for seatrout off Bornholm so those guys liked the Guideline tube!!!
~  <°))))):><       ~   <°))))):><

Bobfly

Just another thought about tubing upgrades which is that upgrading the flipper fins is often better value for money.

It makes a big difference to use ones like the Creek Company than the basic cheap black flat whole-boot-laced-in kind that are often supplied with a tube. £75 on good fins rather than £290 for a Drifter makes quite a cost difference !! Better fins will be better with any tube.
~  <°))))):><       ~   <°))))):><

corsican dave

If people don't occasionally walk away from you shaking their heads, you're probably doing something wrong - John Gierach

Go To Front Page