News:

The Best Fishing Forum In The UK.
Do You Have What It Takes To Be A Member?

Main Menu
Please consider a donation to help with the running costs of this forum.

Dapping rod

Started by david hayward, July 27, 2013, 01:57:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

david hayward

Am trying to find a new dapping rod to take on my fishing holiday to Noth Uist on the 11th August. I already have an ancient Shakespeare model that weighs about 20 ounces but am looking for a lighter weight rod. Glasgow Angling Centre no longer stock the Okuma model . I believe Silstar manufactur one called the Fanatic Proflex 5M but actually trying to find one is proving very difficult (repeated searches on Google have drawn a blank so far) Any member out there with any advice?

Fishtales

Don't worry, be happy.
Sandy
Carried it in full, then carry it out empty.
http://www.ftscotland.co.uk/

Looking for a webhost? Try http://www.1and1.co.uk/?k_id=2966019

david hayward

That is the rod. Have tried contacting Henrys tackle and the phone number is no longer in use so am not sure if still trading. Perhaps some member on here will know.

Allan Crawford

Your right about the diameter but on the other hand I find problem with using a normal rod is storage, not so bad if you only intend to Dap. I prefer the telescopic tucked away somewhere incase I fancy giving it a go and if its windy( thats so windy that its hard to hold), then its usually too windy to Dap properly, the long rod being good in a breeze. If this makes sense ?

Highlander

Any reasonable coarse fishing rod of say 15-17ft would do at a pinch. Though if I as buying another I would get one that would be more designed for catching Bream/Tench rather than Roach. Getting the right rings on it would certainly be a consideration. The high bells stand off rings are not good enough for floss.
Why not build your own from a coarse fishing blank would be the way to go. That way you could pick a better designed ring like a light weight lined Fuji or similar & have the reel fitting in "the right place"
Telescopic ones are popular for obvious reasons but a multi piece if I could get it would probably be the best choice for me.
Depends really how often you intend to dap. If just occasionally the telescopic if fine, storage is certainly not a problem with them.
Problem I see it is that manufacture  simply do not design & construct a rod solely for dapping. Oh Shakespeare (Onset) & a few others market what they call dapping rods but they are simply coarse fishing rods with a dapping label stuck on them.
I very much doubt the the Silstar company would know very much about dapping but they are usable very much so.
For the record I use an old fibre glass Daiwa telescopic & a coarse fishing centre pin reel. Heavy I know but what was available at the time (70s) but weight is not a real issue due to the way it is used. I do not get out on the dap so often now so maybe a new lighter rod is on the cards.
Tight Lines
" The Future's Bright The Future's Wet Fly"

Nemo me impune lacessit

Go To Front Page