News:

The Best Fishing Forum In The UK.
Do You Have What It Takes To Be A Member?

Main Menu
Please consider a donation to help with the running costs of this forum.

Moser Minicons

Started by Wildfisher, December 29, 2011, 09:27:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ythanjoe

I used the Moser mini cons in 2010, for a while, worked OK but despite small size I still got the odd tangle when a tailing loop caught at the sleeve. Prefer to thread the leader through the fly line tip and apply a spot of zap a gap now, not let me down yet...
Joe

Malcolm

Joe,

I like that Whitlock join but I wouldn't use it with heavier leaders. On one occasion I had a fly caught in a tree with an 10lb leader and although it took a lot of pressure the join gave first. I have to say though that I did land a few salmon with the set up so I wouldn't have an issue with normal trout tippets.

Malcolm
There's nocht sae sober as a man blin drunk.
I maun hae goat an unco bellyfu'
To jaw like this

Ythanjoe

Only ever used it for trout Malcolm, got the odd failure when tested at the river bank , never failed when fishing though and never failed when tested, once I switched to zap a gap, bog standard super glue is not up to the job.
Joe

Wildfisher

Update:

After 4 weeks in NZ I am back to nail / needle knot combo. The minicon was OK, but introduced an erratic kick to one side or the other effect. Might be my casting that causes it, but I don't get it with the nail / needle knot. I am also changing my leaders back to Leeda Profile. They are much more expensive, but they last far longer with no tendency to turn into a slinky or kink  after a few hours as all other makes I have used do. You get what you pay for.

scotty9

Quote from: admin on March 09, 2012, 09:37:20 PM
Update:

After 4 weeks in NZ I am back to nail / needle knot combo. The minicon was OK, but introduced an erratic kick to one side or the other effect. Might be my casting that causes it, but I don't get it with the nail / needle knot. I am also changing my leaders back to Leeda Profile. They are much more expensive, but they last far longer with no tendency to turn into a slinky or kink  after a few hours as all other makes I have used do. You get what you pay for.

They're hard to beat, I use the same after Alex recommended them. I go needle knot to fly line, cut about 2' off the tip end of the 15' leader then add a couple feet of 3x or 4x tippet and then to that I add whatever my fishing tippet is. One leader will last a massive amount of time as the tippet is what gets used up. Varivas are the only other ones I have tried that don't go slinky.

If you want a loop and don't want to use braid, this methods is pretty nifty: http://www.graysofkilsyth.com/fishing-knots-gray's-loop.htm Doesn't have to go through the fly line core if you don't want it to.

kemp355

Just fitted my new lines for this season with minicons very small and neat will see how they perform in the coming season

haresear

I'm glad somebody else is buying Leeda Profil tapered leaders as well as I. I'd hate to see them being withdrawn from sale.

In my opinion they are not super fine and don't seem to be pre-stretched, so they retain a degree of elasticity, which means they lie flatter on the water, float better and are less likely to react by kinking to any abrasions.

I'm still using the needle knots for much of my light-line fishing, but the welded loops on modern fly lines are very useful too. Have to say I've still not tried the Minicons, but if it works, why fix it... :)

Alex
Protect the edge.

Malcolm

I've been using the 5 for £5 leaders from Game fishing supplies for my salmon fishing - no problems at all last season - they are ordinary nylon. However at 9ft they are a bit short for my calm weather trout leaders.
There's nocht sae sober as a man blin drunk.
I maun hae goat an unco bellyfu'
To jaw like this

haresear

QuoteI've been using the 5 for £5 leaders from Game fishing supplies for my salmon fishing - no problems at all last season - they are ordinary nylon.

I bought a load of Caimore leaders last year. This was more with the intention of using them at the casting club etc., rather than fishing with them. Had they been up to the job (fishing) I would have gone for them rather than the Leeda, being the cheaper option.

The Caimore were ok, but fairly wiry and coiled more easily than the Leeda. Probably OK for some fishing stuff, but not for me, apart from casting in a field :)

A pint of crap beer costs nearly 3 quid in my local. A Leeda leader lasts me a lot longer than a pint :)

QuoteHaresear seems to be a very clued up lad on this here Forum on all types of wild angling. Gave me a fair few pointers over the last couple of years.

Thanks very much for that Barfly. I'm glad to have been of assistance. :D

Alex
Protect the edge.

Ripple

Fraying is a huge problem for me, as I fish in salt water :(

Go To Front Page