News:

The Best Fishing Forum In The UK.
Do You Have What It Takes To Be A Member?

Main Menu
Please consider a donation to help with the running costs of this forum.

Rod Dilemma

Started by east wind, July 10, 2011, 07:09:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

east wind

.......Or mibbee its just in my head.

I've been using the same bigger river rod for over ten years now. Its a 10ft Enigma EMG with what was called a middle to tip action.

To be honest until recently I've never had the notion to change, I've done OK with the old fella and I have a good rod/line combination which turns a fly over, so I've never seen the point in testing anything else.

Now I've got a niggling urge to try something new. Have I succumbed to the gloss of the advertisers?

I think the reason is that the wind in this country is wearing me down. Although I can usually plan my way around it can still get me from time to time.

So some advice would be appreciated. Do the fast actioned rods make a difference casting into the wind? I know some think the opposite. I've tried a few of Sage models and though alien and stiff to me, I think I might get used to one. My mate certainly puts out a nice line with his, however I'm concerned about the feel lifting into and playing a fish.

A rod that I'm drawn to and if the blurb is anything to go by might suit me is the Scott S4, anyone used one ?

A bit of a ramble here, any comments suggesting a fine river trout rod that will laugh at the face of the wind welcome, even those telling me not to be so daft, keep what I've got and to give all the money to charity or worse the missus.

Cheers,

Mac

Listen son, said the man with the gun
There's room for you inside.

Wildfisher

Quote from: east wind on July 10, 2011, 07:09:18 PM
A rod that I'm drawn to and if the blurb is anything to go by might suit me is the Scott S4, anyone used one ?

I have an S4  9 foot 5 weight. It's the most versatile rod  I have owned. It's the only rod I really need although I do use others. The S4 is a great general purpose rod.  I use it for just about everything now, loch and larger river. I have landed 6lb +   wild trout on it no problem.

east wind

Quote from: admin on July 10, 2011, 07:30:13 PM
I have an S4  9 foot 5 weight. It's the most versatile rod  I have owned. It's the only rod I really need although I do use others. The S4 is a great general purpose rod.  I use it for just about everything now, loch and larger river. I have landed 6lb +   wild trout on it no problem.

That's encouraging Fred, I've been following this one on ebay, seems like a no bad deal.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/NEW-SCOTT-S4-9-5WT-4-PC-FLY-ROD-w-NEW-100-Fly-line-/160592938933?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item256415c7b5

How well does it cast a fly into the wind ?

Wildfisher

Quote from: east wind on July 10, 2011, 07:54:58 PM
How well does it cast a fly into the wind ?

Better than I can.  :lol:  

Joe recently bought one too for exactly the same reasons as you outline above. He is pleased with it.  I think he had to get one from the US too, harder to get here now for some reason.

haresear

QuoteDo the fast actioned rods make a difference casting into the wind? I know some think the opposite. I've tried a few of Sage models and though alien and stiff to me, I think I might get used to one. My mate certainly puts out a nice line with his

A fast action rod (i.e. the rod straightens fast) will give greater line speed, which will help ping a line into the wind.

Much more important than the equipment is technique. Most folk try to power a cast into the wind. It is the worst thing you can do.   

Shorten the casting stroke so that you are getting a tight loop. Now cast up on the backcast and down on the forward cast so that your leader straightens just above the surface. If you can haul, this helps greatly with control and because your two arms are sharing the work, you won't get knackered.

Mac, I use a variety of rods. My favourites are  the Sage XP and Scott S4. I have the XP in a 4,5,6 and the S4 in a 4 and 5. You are welcome to borrow either for a wee try. Just drop me a PM with your address and I'll drop them in to you.

QuoteI'm concerned about the feel lifting into and playing a fish.

I 'm not keen on tip actioned rods for playing fish, but both the XP and S4 are mid to tip action. The photo is the S4 in action (tights are optional).

Protect the edge.

east wind

My current set up allows me some success into the wind, I try the high lift and also cast low and parallel to the water though I'm now more curious as to the performance of these rods against a wind that is becoming ever present.

Quote from: haresear on July 11, 2011, 12:35:45 AM
Mac, I use a variety of rods. My favourites are  the Sage XP and Scott S4. I have the XP in a 4,5,6 and the S4 in a 4 and 5. You are welcome to borrow either for a wee try. Just drop me a PM with your address and I'll drop them in to you.

Alex thanks, that's a very generous offer, just as well that you haven't seen me wave the Enigma about.

Your wands are safe for the time being. After hovering over the "Buy It Now" a few times and watching the available count drop I finally took the bait and bought one.

Thanks again,

Mac

Wildfisher

Quote from: east wind on July 12, 2011, 09:58:35 PM
I finally took the bait and bought one.

I don't think you will regret it.  :D

ennio

Before anyone else pays £437 to import a Scott S4 from the USA, please look at The Alternative Tackle Co
http://www.alternativetackle.com/page79/page53/page5/page5.html
£470 from the UK, with UK warranty

Andrew

scotty9

Mac - just wondering if you have had a play around with different leaders and fly lines as an option for dealing with the wind? Perhaps thicker leaders,  heavier line, a different line taper or anything else may solve what you are looking for without the expense of a new rod?

As far as the rod goes, it is impossible to say whether the stiffer actioned rod will help you cast into the wind as it all depends what you do with it. You might find at first that you have a casting stroke engrained to the softer rod and your into wind casting might suffer at first with the change but if you follow what Alex says you may eventually find that it is easier to cast into the wind. (A lot will depend on whether you get on with the rod at a feel level, if you don't like it there's a good chance it'll never work as well as it could for you). I certainly find a stiffer rod easier to cast into the wind but I find them easier to cast in any situation and there is also the fact that I very much have a bias for stiff rods.

I have a #6 tcx you are more than welcome to try out if that would be useful to see what a very stiff rod is like to add to the comparison?

Malcolm

The Hardy Jet glass rod is a very slow rod but is a favourite rod of mine but into a heavy breeze the stiff and fast Sage TCR is a much better rod.

There's nocht sae sober as a man blin drunk.
I maun hae goat an unco bellyfu'
To jaw like this

Go To Front Page