News:

The Best Fishing Forum In The UK.
Do You Have What It Takes To Be A Member?

Main Menu
Please consider a donation to help with the running costs of this forum.

Hot Spot Flies

Started by Rabmax, November 20, 2010, 10:37:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rabmax

Hello all wondering what other peoples views are on adding hot spots to there dry flies are.Last year i was tying some PTNs with a little fire orange tag at the tail that i use when the river is a bit coloured.And tied a few CDC & Elks & a few DHEs up with this same fire orange tag to see what would happen.I only got a chance to try them a few times as  it was near the end of the season.Not sure if they caught any more than my standard ones but my catch rate didn't suffer as i caught plenty with them.Searching the internet you find plenty of wet flies using hot spots but you don't find many Dry flies using them. Cheers  :)

Clan Ford

I'm not so keen on "hot spots" on dries - but on wets and nymphs I think they really enhance your chances.

Norm

Black Pennell

I wouldnt think there was much point as the fly will just be mainly a silouhette, and I find with dries it is more in the shape and footprint.

Malcolm

Hot spots help in that you can see the flies more clearly. So some people tie wings in bright orange or peach. I have a pet theory that at sunset bright orange in the dry fly does no harm at all as I think it enhances the suns rays. No proof however but my many late evening flies have orange CDC and bright bodies in yellow or orange.
There's nocht sae sober as a man blin drunk.
I maun hae goat an unco bellyfu'
To jaw like this

Rabmax

Cheers all Malcolm i will tie a couple of things up to try as i already have some orange Cdc anyway. :D

Wildfisher

I've just been watching Bob Wyatt's 2 DVDs sent to me for review and Bob does mention that a hot spot even if it's just a conventional wire rib may help catch the trout's eye in the multitude of flotsam that continually passes overhead in a river.

Rabmax

My thinking was it might give a slight edge over a normal tie especially as i fish a few peat stained rivers.I will test it out next season with a 2  fly cast one  with a hot spot & one without & see what happens.   :)On a slightly different note i have been tying a lot of Wyatt style snowshoe emergers.On some of them i have been adding a little overwing of high-vis McFlylon before dubbing the thorax.As i have never used snowshoe before how visible is it in fast streamy water do others find they need to add a little extra visibility.I have been using light & also medium dun coloured snowshoe.Anyway better get back to tying my parachute Adams while watching the TV.  :D

Highlander

Have tried using "Hot Spots" on spiders & can not say they increased my catches by any great amount.
Colour changes in a fly can enhance a pattern but not strictly Hot Spot in the accepted sense.
In a dry I would have to think about it, but my gut reaction is no advantage. Still ones mileage my vary.
Tight Lines
" The Future's Bright The Future's Wet Fly"

Nemo me impune lacessit

Go To Front Page