News:

The Best Fishing Forum In The UK.
Do You Have What It Takes To Be A Member?

Main Menu
Please consider a donation to help with the running costs of this forum.

Nice Bloke?

Started by River Chatter, November 19, 2008, 08:09:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Wildfisher

I have emailed Mick and asked him about the colour. I note he has a load of rods on eBay right now.

Wildfisher

I have had a reply from Mick. The colour is back to good old burgundy. I would not hesitate in buying one of these rods, really

haresear

Quote from: admin on December 08, 2008, 10:16:13 AM
I have had a reply from Mick. The colour is back to good old burgundy. I would not hesitate in buying one of these rods, really

That could be bad news for my pocket :)

Alex
Protect the edge.

Wildfisher

Quote from: haresear on December 08, 2008, 01:48:42 PM
That could be bad news for my pocket :)

Alex

aye, and mine................. that bugger Mick has a lovely #4 9 foot 4pc xl50.......................... :(

shanksi

Will you stop posting Fred, bank manager coming out in a rash at the thought of me contacting Mick again. :D
Anyone thinking of getting a new rod should seriously look at the Bloke's especially if the burgundy colour.

shanksi

bloke

Quote from: Malcolm on November 19, 2008, 08:38:55 PM
I believe Mick Bell has his own factory in China, maybe someone could confirm? He used to use Harrison blanks at one time and I think he may still sell their blanks and build on them on request.

I have a 9ft 4 piece #8 rod which I use for seatrout and salmon in high water. It's a good rod but I'm going to replace it with something else, as I don't like the feel of the reconstituted cork handle on this model. I think his new rods are made with proper cork handles. He used to sell on Ebay at considerably less cost than he does on his web site. Worth dropping him an e-mail before you part with your hard-earned 

To answer the question...yes most of my rods are made in my own factory in China go to www.bluemoonfishing.cn
All of my blanks are rolled from high modulus Japanese carbon fibre and unique to me, we also manufacture fly rods for ****** in the USA and ***** in the UK among others, although not to the same specifications....the principal reason I can make rods at such a low price is that the cost is offset by the other firms we make for...a bit cheeky really but they benefit as well !!
I still enjoy building rods...especially weird sizes, the last two I made were a 5'6 2wt in split cane and a 9' 17wt for Marlin ! I still buy some of my blanks from Harrisons and very good they are too.
The newest item in the range is a 10'6" 3wt for Czech nymphing launched in March next year. to be honest it is a ghastly fly rod but a brilliant Czech -nymphing rod...a bit like a roach pole !! I am also launching an 11'3" 7/8wt for Loch style and Sea trout next spring.

haresear

Nice to know you are back to using blanks in more muted colours Mick. I bought one of the metallic red XL50s off you some time back, but asked you to take it back because I didn't fancy the colour. Daft I know, but I like my kit to be more muted to blend in. It looks like I'll be up for one of the recent models :)

Alex
Protect the edge.

shanksi

Hi Mick glad to see you've found a good forum at last. :D  Josh has been using the 5# rod this season for river fishing and has got on really well with it altho he prefers the original burgundy colour.  Keep on producing quality gear and you still have best after sales service.

shanksi

Dougie Smith

I've got two Bloke rods - 10ft #5 and 13ft6 #8/9. I'm happy to recommend them both, they're really nice rods. The 10ft rod is especially good in the float tube and has so far done all I could ask of it.

haresear

I had a XL 50 9' for a 6 line delivered on Saturday. Took it down the rugby field and had an hour casting a Snowbee XS with it. Brilliant rod for overhead casting :D.

Next day I took it to Abington for some more casting practice/instruction. I found the Bloke to be a lovely roll caster too (probably better than my Sage XP), as did the instructor I was with. We were well impressed.

Expecting a 5 weight this week :D

Alex
Protect the edge.

Go To Front Page