News:

The Best Fishing Forum In The UK.
Do You Have What It Takes To Be A Member?

Main Menu
Please consider a donation to help with the running costs of this forum.

Thread colours

Started by col, January 09, 2008, 11:07:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

col

I think the thread colours used on specific flies can make the finished look that bit classier. My favourites are rust brown 8) and brown in an 8/0 especialy for river flies and plain old black and ocassionally red more often for loch flies (all uni thread) . Whats your favourite if you have any?
Col

Wildfisher

These days I am tending to use very strong really fine grey for just about everything. If  I want a black head I colour it with a marker pen. Of course if I was tying a Greenwells or the like where the body was the  thread then I'd use the correct thread or as close to it as I have.

drumgerry

When it comes to brands I'm a convert to the joys of using Roman Moser Powersilk.  This stuff is strong enough to harness a horse.  Shame it only comes in a few colours but they're all good natural ones - olive, brown, black, yellow.

Cheers

Gerry

scotfly

Depends on the pattern. Black often, Fire Orange UNI often, Grey more and more.
Threads I use most are UTC70, Bennechi 12/0, Hends Synton (17/0) and Roman Moser Power Silk (takes a marker pen very well)

Malcolm

I use whatever of the 4 bobbins come to hand (truthfully, the first one I find in the clutter) first. If it's the orange thread and I'm tying a hares ear nymph it get's called a hot spot hare's ear.

Malcolm
There's nocht sae sober as a man blin drunk.
I maun hae goat an unco bellyfu'
To jaw like this

Ian_M

I have a monster bobbin of fine black thread which I paid a couple of quid for many years ago.  I spool some up using my electric drill holding the empty bobbin. This is my mainstay and I think it will last me forever.

Interesting thought provoking post though. Should we not consider the effect of say, a dubbed hares ear body. Would this be better on a light coloured thread, say yellow? The same fly using black thread must appear different to the trout.
Ian

haresear

My flies are definitely not classy and I very rarely if ever tie traditionals So I don't follow patterns. I don't normally mind what colour I use, unless I'm using a material for the body where the underbody colour does show through (e.g. flexifloss) and makes a big difference to the overall effect.

At the moment, I'm tying up Deleatidium spinners with a mahogany coloured flexifloss body, so rust is the thread colour I'm using. After I've tied these, I'll be on to the greyish emerger of the same species, with a grey dubbed rabbit body. I'll just use the same thread however, as the dubbing masks the thread colour anyway.

Lazy tier, that's me :).

Alex

Protect the edge.

Highlander

I seem to have settled on Bennechi 12/0 for most of my Trout tying. Uni 8/0 & some 6/0 for Sea Trout & Salmon.
Colours; black by a mile is most used but yellow olives grey & red on occasion.
I'll tell you what though I do not like & I see a few have mentioned them as favourites.
Roman Moser Power Silk a horrible thing to work with closely followed by UTC & Danvilles. Good thing about UTC though is the vibrant colours available other than that not for me. Now & again I take a notion & tie with Pearsall's but that is an age thing.   :)
Tight lines
" The Future's Bright The Future's Wet Fly"

Nemo me impune lacessit

.D.

Uni-Thread 6/0 and 8/0 Purple
Uni-Thread 6/0 and 8/0 Rusty Brown
Uni-Thread 8/0 Wine
Danville's Flymaster 6/0 Light Olive

I wouldn't be without any of those particular threads (for colour).

Most often I use tan or brown thread though: I'm less fussy about particular makes for brown thread: I just use whatever one is "fit for purpose". Usually Danville's Flymaster.

.D.

just_steven

Horses for courses!
It depends mostly on what colour the bodies are going to be.
If the bodies are dark then I'll probably use black, but if I'm using a yellow, orange, or other lighter colour dubbing where the colour can show through, especially when it gets wet, then I'll use a lighter thread and run the appropriate colour marker down the length of it if need be.
If I'm tying something that needs a split thread dubbed body then I'll use UTC as it isn't twisted. Otherwise I'll just use whatever make comes to hand.
I know a commercial/classic salmon tyer and he uses primrose danvilles flymaster almost the whole time due to it going almost transparent when wet. This means that whatever colour floss, dubbing, or other thread he put's on top, the primrose won't show through.

Steve

Go To Front Page