News:

The Best Fishing Forum In The UK.
Do You Have What It Takes To Be A Member?

Main Menu
Please consider a donation to help with the running costs of this forum.

quick seines

Started by col, November 03, 2007, 03:17:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

col

Has anyone used one of these quick seines or similar they are elasticated and fit over the rim of the landing net ? Thinking about getting one for doing the odd kick sample next season ,but wondered if they were any good? I'll stick up a link so you know what im on about.
http://www.anglingdesigns.com/intro.asp

Andrew Moray

Hello Col,

I saw these whilst in the US earlier this year.
Was actually looking at their MRT flybox for saltwater flies.

Never got a chance to look at the net, sealed in a bag.
Not bulky, and very light, and I think it used velcro to secure to the net.
Looked a bit flimsy if I'm honest, but, didn't get a look at it out of the packaging.

HTH,
Tony

rabbitangler

Hi you down to your nearest curtain shppie and buy a bit of net curtain. cut out a piece big enough to go round your net, and hey presto seine net. I used to use the very same when netting minnows and beardies for night fishing on the Clyde/Avon. Works a treat.

Wildfisher

Just a question, but is it really a good idea to be kicking up river beds? What does it actually tell you that you could  not have probably guessed?   Does it really help with pattern selection when all we will probably do anyway is tie on a PTN, copper  or weighted nymph  in varying sizes?

I often turn stones over and usually find cased caddis (millions on the Don), the odd shrimp and some ephemerid nymphs in various sizes, or  perhaps a stomefly nymph or two if I'm lucky.  Not sure it helps me much to be honest.

Fishtales

Use any piece of nylon that fits over your net. Ladies tights or stockings, fine muslin or fine net curtain would do.
Don't worry, be happy.
Sandy
Carried it in full, then carry it out empty.
http://www.ftscotland.co.uk/

Looking for a webhost? Try http://www.1and1.co.uk/?k_id=2966019

Wildfisher

Quote from: col on November 04, 2007, 09:53:20 PM
Im involved in a fly survey next year which involves taking 3 minute kick samples (3 minutes seems to be standard , preformed by SEPA and other fly study groups) from certain locations on the river.
Col

OK, that's fair enough. I can see the value in an organised  survey of insect populations, rather than as a fishing aid which struck me as a  questionable practice.

.D.

Quote from: fishtales on November 04, 2007, 09:50:13 PM
Use any piece of nylon that fits over your net. Ladies tights or stockings, fine muslin or fine net curtain would do.

A midge net even: what else are you going to use it for?
:D

.D.

.D.

Quote from: admin on November 04, 2007, 09:47:42 PM
Just a question, but is it really a good idea to be kicking up river beds? What does it actually tell you that you could  not have probably guessed?   Does it really help with pattern selection when all we will probably do anyway is tie on a PTN, copper  or weighted nymph  in varying sizes?

I often turn stones over and usually find cased caddis (millions on the Don), the odd shrimp and some ephemerid nymphs in various sizes, or  perhaps a stomefly nymph or two if I'm lucky.  Not sure it helps me much to be honest.

I'd suggest it is the kind of set-up that would also be handy for sampling much higher in the water column e.g. for spinners lying flush in the film, or emerging caddisflies maybe. I often find such things difficult to discern with the naked eye.

cheers,

.D.

Steve07

Hello to all of you,

I am the manufacturer of the Quick-Seine from USA.

Most people do not use this product to capture insects while kicking up the stream bed. The main advantage of the Quick-Seine is that it can be quickly deployed within seconds to capture surface or subsurface insects while you are standing in midstream. Most of the time, one cannot even see what is in the surface film or below. This gives one the ability to determine what is in the water and what the fish are feeding on at any given time.

It eliminates the time consuming frustration of having to tie on a seine net while juggling your fishing rod and landing net at the same time.You would simply and conveniently stretch the elasticized seine net over your landing net frame and scoop up whatever is in the water.

It has saved my fishing days more times than I can count since guessing at matching the size, shape, and color of insects in the water can lead to failure and frustration. The Quick-Seine received a Top Ten New Product Award in 1996.

Should anyone have any questions, please feel free to contact me, Steve, at anglingdesigns@aol.com

Andrew Moray

Hello Col,

Quote from: col on November 03, 2007, 03:17:22 PM
Has anyone used one of these quick seines
Just in case you're still looking, the GAC stocks them, ?15 I think.
Or this ?:
http://www.pennineflyfishingguides.co.uk/torrentis.htm
http://www.pennineflyfishingguides.co.uk/Torrentis%20order%20form.htm

HTH,
Tony

Go To Front Page