News:

The Best Fishing Forum In The UK.
Do You Have What It Takes To Be A Member?

Main Menu
Please consider a donation to help with the running costs of this forum.

Gel Spun Backing

Started by Wildfisher, February 28, 2014, 03:47:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Wildfisher

lochgarryfisher

Not sure if this is a trick question but my spinning reels all have gel spun  [GSP] on them.  It's the thinnest stuff /lb i have come across so am guessing if there is "gel spun backing" out there you will be able to increase the quantity of backing on your fly reel, something bloomin handy on some of the newer large arbor reels which i have found to be a bit tight on their claimed capacity figures.

As a spinning line it is the dogs wotsits, you can feel every knock and wiggle, zero stretch, light as a feather so casting distances massively improved over mono and cos it is so light you can even mend it like you would a fly line.  Oh and its also abrasion resistant, good if you fish amoungst snags and rocks off the shore.

Robbie

I have always thought it was largely a waste of money for trout fishing. I have never seen the backing on any of my reels when fishing.

Wildfisher

So what is it? Some kind of braid?

Darwin

Here is a link to a good photo, it looks to be twisted in this example.

http://www.ardentflyfishing.com/A-15364-backing-rio-gel-spun.aspx

Wildfisher

Thanks for that. It does look twisted doesn't it.

lochgarryfisher

[attachimg=1]

The dark  green line on the spool is 20lb braid.
The yellow stuff is 40lb gel spun spinning line.
I put a dubbing needle through the ends to try and unpick it, hopefully you can see the detail.
The braid seems to be 5 strands twisted together where as the gel spun is many very thin strands platted together

Wildfisher

Highlander

It's a Polymer spun from GEL, very fine,very strong. Only really good if you need 100s & 100s of yards of backing ie Bonefish, Tarpon & the like. Waste of time for Trout fishing. Tends to dig in to reel spool. I prefer dacron, it might be thicker but feels better in the hand.
Tight Lines
" The Future's Bright The Future's Wet Fly"

Nemo me impune lacessit

haresear

I use gelspun braid on some of my reels and have had no problem with it at all :) The only thing I do worry about is that it is susceptible to being cut on sharp rocks, but so far so good and I've been using it for years.

As lochgarry fisher said, some reel manufacturers overstate the carrying capacity of their spools, so the gelspun gets you more backing on the reel. This may not be important on some waters, but is vitally important on others.

I bought mine from Tacklebargains. It is 25lb b.s. if I remember right.

Alex
Protect the edge.

Go To Front Page