News:

The Best Fishing Forum In The UK.
Do You Have What It Takes To Be A Member?

Main Menu
Please consider a donation to help with the running costs of this forum.

new rod for my birthday....?

Started by corsican dave, February 18, 2014, 03:11:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

corsican dave

well, pigs might fly but since this year does mark my 50th I can only hope that the wife lets me spend some money on a decent rod for a change :lol: ( I got away with £200 on a kayak paddle, so you never know)

so, the old chestnut: which 8wt SWFF rod? probably as many answers out there as there are rods. I've never used anything fancy up 'til now, just good ol' shakeys. rod would have to be pretty much a go-to work tool for rock hopping, kayaking and, hopefully, some tropical flats work later in the year. so a good guarantee/warranty would be useful!

budget? let's be hopeful and suggest £300 tops (hardy zane? hmm a bit too much I'm afraid).

big question, but please give it your best shot, folks 8)
If people don't occasionally walk away from you shaking their heads, you're probably doing something wrong - John Gierach

River Chatter

I guess since it's for your 50th you'd prefer a new rod, but there's some deals to be had on Orvis T3 tip flex rods on eBay fairly regularly.  I've just bagged a 10 weight for just over £200 in good condition, which will be my permit and light tarpon rod.  I have the 8 weight (also bought 2nd hand) which I used for the DIY flat last year and it's a pretty good stick and well finished.  You might want to consider a 9 weight as a good compromise instead though given the frequent winds to be found around the salt, both here and abroad.  I'm still using a Sage RPLXi I bought in 2000 and it's great, albeit a 3 piece making it an extra item of luggage.  One of the Redington rods gets great reviews - CFS I think - and is basically a discontinued Sage blank.  Colin (Shad) might be able to confirm the model. 

As an alternative to a new rod you could always use your 50th to bag a bullet-proof saltwater reel.  Again eBay has some deals from time to time for as good as new Tibors.  Brilliant reels that should last a lifetime, with Bonefish size Everglades or Riptide and Gulftream for 11 weight and above.  And don't be put off by the prices advertised for new as it's possible to pick one up for £200 odd quid if your patient and seek out sellers from the UK as the competition for these reels is lower here.  Plenty to hold the attention of a tackle tart! :)

corsican dave

yeah, I thought about the reel, too. but I have a scierra xpd which would match a fairly nice rod, whereas a tibor or abel is going to look pretty silly on my Shakespeare atlantis with a repaired tip and pitted chrome rings.. :lol:
If people don't occasionally walk away from you shaking their heads, you're probably doing something wrong - John Gierach

Lochan_load

Greys xf2 saltwater is about the £200 mark, used my mates for pike in a 9wt and was good casting rod, I'll be using it again next Sunday if you want more info, I'll pay more attention this time!

lochgarryfisher

I have only tried one 8wt, the Sharpes of Aberdeen Gordon 4 8/9wt but can thoroughly recommend it! Was out on the lawn yesterday playing with it casting large pike flies and it coped with ease.  Within your budget at £246.  Customer service at Sharpes is excellent!

corsican dave

all good suggestions so far folks. thanks very much!  :D
has anyone had a play with the scierra hmx series? at the price (£120 delivered as opposed to £150rrp) I may get one anyway as a back-up. I've always been quite impressed with scierra kit.

shad

Hey Dave

Really hard to choose given all the rods on the market now.Given your liking for Pollack and Pike a 9 wt might be best all round for your needs.

Whatever you go for I would check the warranty details , my Thomas and Thomas rods are great but need to be sent back to the USA so it gets costly about £140 for the last section I got.Id also be wary of newer companies like say  Sonic or guideline selling far eastern rods with their badge on, will they still be around in 5 years?

I think Johns Orvis suggestion is pretty good, big company and they handle warranty claims in the UK.They also have a lot of stores so you can have a shot before you go hunting on eBay.

ATB Colin

River Chatter

Quote from: shad on February 19, 2014, 09:06:54 PM
I think Johns Orvis suggestion is pretty good, big company and they handle warranty claims in the UK.They also have a lot of stores so you can have a shot before you go hunting on eBay.
ATB Colin

And I made a mistake in my last post... the 10 weight Orvis T3 I got on eBay was only £123 with a tenner for postage.  Some minor blemishes on it, but a real bargain I reckon.  In any case just make sure your chosen rod has saltwater resistant fittings - as you'll know anyway of course they take a real pounding and a rod designed for pike and freshwater may not be up to it long term.

corsican dave

thanks folks! i have to say i was thinking orvis (although i've still got a hankering for the hardy.... :roll:). i've been using an 8wt shakespeare atlantis for the past 6 years (maybe longer, they'd just come out when i got my first). i've also got a shakespeare 10 wt as a pike set up. so replacing the 8wt is definitely the way to go as i've got some nice lines already.

i ordered up the scierra hmx just because i really need a new rod now, so i'll let you know how i get on. still sharking for that birthday rod, so keep the suggestions coming..... :8)

Lochan_load

Dave if you really want a hardy It's worth keeping a look at auctioneers that do antique fishing sales, you can browse through their catalogue online, it's generally old brass reels and cane rods but there's always some new hardy and sage/orvis stuff tagged on the end, if your not in a hurry you can get  bargains, got my hardy swift 7wt for 140, still had the wrap on the handle :)

Go To Front Page