News:

The Best Fishing Forum In The UK.
Do You Have What It Takes To Be A Member?

Main Menu
Please consider a donation to help with the running costs of this forum.

Jacket Advice Needed

Started by JIMCCS, December 22, 2013, 02:20:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JIMCCS

I`m looking for a lightweight waterproof, breathable jacket for walking and fishing. I want a dull, drab coloured thing as well at around the hunner quid mark....any thoughts lads?

Hill loch gold

I ordered a loop opti lightweight jacket yesterday - £145, doon tae £40. Clearance at the GAC  :D

corsican dave

berghaus rg1. i could think of plenty more, but not at that price point.
If people don't occasionally walk away from you shaking their heads, you're probably doing something wrong - John Gierach

corsican dave

do you fine, Jim. just bear in mind the hood's not too special: bit of a floppy brim. wear a baseball style cap underneath and it's okay. i tend to do that with all my jackets since i wear glasses. the drop liner can get a bit damp, but the outer fabric's way tougher than paclite. i reckon you wouldn't be impressed with paclite, since it's super-light and the graphite liner can wear out quite quickly. btw have seen the cornice for around £100 if you're not picky about colour. they're all fairly drab anyway.

that loop opti jacket is a very good buy, but bear in mind that 4000 mvp is not the most breathable. 10000 is a good standard and goretex is way over that, even the relatively basic form used in 2-layer jackets like the cornice. also, they're pretty slim, even at xl. just sayin'...... :8) (to use one of your phrases!)

don't forget you're going to need a nice paddling jacket next year too....
If people don't occasionally walk away from you shaking their heads, you're probably doing something wrong - John Gierach

corsican dave

something a bit like this, Jim:
http://www.wetsuitoutlet.co.uk/yak-vision-touring-cag-orangeblack-6764-p-2235.html?source=googleshopping&gclid=CP2ygZXfxLsCFfHMtAodSWkAiw

but only once you're sure about the kayak thing. couple one of these with waist or chest waders and you've got a fighting chance of getting back aboard dry if you happen to flip. quite versatile, they're actually pretty good in surf for blustery days on the beach. i'm wearing one with my waist waders here:[attachimg=1] (whilst playing the world's smallest pollack on loch huorn :roll:)

for now though, a good waterproof jacket'll do just fine

Fishtales

Doesn't look too bad a deal.

www.craghoppers.com/men/jackets/terrain-lite-shell-jacket-87428.html

I have an older Craghoppers jacket which is excelent.
Don't worry, be happy.
Sandy
Carried it in full, then carry it out empty.
http://www.ftscotland.co.uk/

Looking for a webhost? Try http://www.1and1.co.uk/?k_id=2966019

Wildfisher

Quote from: Fishtales on December 26, 2013, 12:43:48 PM
Doesn't look too bad a deal.

www.craghoppers.com/men/jackets/terrain-lite-shell-jacket-87428.html

I have an older Craghoppers jacket which is excelent.

That looks great Sandy. I'm in the market for another jacket myself and may go for that one. Thanks for the link.  :D

Wildfisher

Berghaus is fine Jim, I have used their gear myself over the years and still do. It's top stuff.  Like buying a fly rod no matter what you buy there will always be something newer and better. It all depends what you intend doing. Hamish Brown did all the Munros in a oner wearing a pair of flannel breeks tucked into his socks!  I have learned to listen to Fishtales. Over the 10 years I have known him he has gone out for weeks in the hills back packing  and fishing year on year, usually in the kind of atrocious conditions that would have most of us heading for home on day two.  :lol:    If Sandy says it's fine you can be pretty sure it's because he's used it to do the kind of stuff we do.  :8)

Noddy

Craghopper jackets are not suitable for those with the more generous proportions.  Might give them another try since I have lost nearly 2 stone.

Jim

Buanán

Go To Front Page