News:

The Best Fishing Forum In The UK.
Do You Have What It Takes To Be A Member?

Main Menu
Please consider a donation to help with the running costs of this forum.

Dropper knots

Started by James Dunlop, May 20, 2013, 03:29:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

James Dunlop

Hi I just wonder if anyone has had problems with dropper knots.  Until recently I used double blood knots for my droppers but the last couple of years I started getting breaks at the dropper.  The last couple of years I have been fishing mostly at Assynt and have been catching and losing larger fish. I did get the odd failure before this but not often. I think the more regular failures have been because I have been getting hits from bigger fish. The break nearly always happens when the fish first hits the fly.   I have started using water knots for droppers but the problem with this is I usually need to re -tie the whole cast after a tangle but with the blot knot it was easier to repair.  I use 6lb  drennan double strength which I usually coat with ledasink to sink the leader.   I dont know if the problem is with the low diameter line I use, the ledasink or the knot not being suitable.  I have not had any failures with waterknots  but  has anyone tried using grinner knots for droppers ?

Otter Spotter

Try using riverge leader rings (Seamless rings) http://www.fishingmegastore.com/riverge-seamless-leader-rings~1150.html They solve the problem of losing a whole cast if you get a tangle with your water knots. I use the 1.5mm version makes life a lot easier on a windy hillside!
I used to be a surrealist but now I'm just fish.

Wildfisher

I just use water knots and have found them to be by far the most reliable way to make up a cast.  You just have to accept bad tangle = new cast as part and parcel of fly fishing.

Robbie

I have always used a three turn water knot and never had any problems, regardless of the material used. Guess you just have to find a setup that works for you.

Highlander

You do not say what line you are using. Blood knots are "great" for nylon but not so good with other types, certainly not fluo.
I have used a five turn blood knot for making casts for many years & can count on the one hand how many times it has "given way"
The water knot is indeed another that can be used, I do not use it though I have tried it. Tangles were more common I found so I dropped it in favour of the "older method" but many do & are quite happy with it.
Tight Lines
" The Future's Bright The Future's Wet Fly"

Nemo me impune lacessit

Wildfisher

Quote from: Roobarb on May 20, 2013, 11:30:20 PM
... is shite!

Agreed. Great for dry fly etc, useless for pulling flies. Like all pre-stretched leader material it has no give / elasticity and snaps if shocked where the likes of Maxima would just stretch.  For pulling flies bog standard green Maxima is hard to beat

Highlander

Why people still use Drennan Double Strength is beyond me. When I visited the Dark Side for a time (Bow fishing) it amazed me the amount  of time I saw fish lost due to this material breaking invariably  "on the strike" by fishermen but rather than change continued using it.
I remember Stan The Man bemoaning in a Trout & Salmon article years back bemoaning loosing nine fish in succession using double strength. What I could not understand was why he kept on using it despite what happened. I thought he might have wised up after the first couple. As Fred says it has no give in it & this fact alone has a built in deficiency right from the start.
Tight Lines
" The Future's Bright The Future's Wet Fly"

Nemo me impune lacessit

Wildfisher

Maxima or Drennan sub surface green - both good  for pulling wets on lochs. I tend to fish dries / nymphs most of the time and use Rio Powerflex which is very fine for its test. However it is equally crap  for puling wets thus  I NEVER go out without  a spool  of 4lb Maxima green in my pocket and if I switch to wets on lochs I always change. I  had to learn that lesson the hard way.

I always use 2 turn water knots. I used leader rings years ago, but found them too much of a faff and like Andy I'd rather use 1 knot than 3.

haresear

Two turn water knots for me, with a uni-knot to the fly. I changed to these knots after suffering breakages on the thinner hi-tech lines and that seems to have solved the problem.

Double strength is fine for dry fly as said, but I too would go for a standard unstreched mono for pulling wets. I use any decent coarse fishing main line (Shakespeare Omni) for example or spinning line for that matter. They come in 100m spools and are cheaper than "fly leader".

Alex
Protect the edge.

sinbad

Double strength drennen cost me my best ever trout, i will never ever use it again after using 6lbs and losing my best ever trout the size of my arm in rimsdale i broke off on lots of 1lbs trout the same trip. Its total crap !
PS im not bitter im bloody raging and that happened 10 years ago lol

Go To Front Page