News:

The Best Fishing Forum In The UK.
Do You Have What It Takes To Be A Member?

Main Menu
Please consider a donation to help with the running costs of this forum.

Buying from US

Started by Moray, February 10, 2012, 11:16:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Moray

Anyone buy much from US or the like?

Have been looking at Outcast float tubes for a while (on likes of Cabelas) but have zero experience buying from outwith UK. Or if anyone knows local/EU/recommended supplier to purchase Outcast gear from.

Any info greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Moray

trout n about

Probably better buying local if possible, us guys that do trolling, most of our gear we have to buy from Cabelas or Bass Pro. It all looks cheap enough, but be prepared to be hammered when delivered the duty can be nearly just as much as the item itself.

Andy   

trout n about

Quote from: Moray on February 10, 2012, 11:37:19 PM
I see there is a dealer in Germany, orders over 100 Euros free delivery which always saves a bit

Take it wouldn't be any duty charges, etc if coming from within Europe?

Moray, this is only a thought, check the free delivery is to any destination, it may only be free within a certain area ?

Would not think there would be any other charges within Europe. Other members may advise on this ?

Andy

fergie

I got hosed last month after thinking i was getting a bargain on US ebay fuckers got me for import tax which is a pain but then the post office put the boot in and charge you a handling fee or some bullshit. :pat

haresear

I've bought two or three reels from the USA. In each case, the sellers described them as gifts on the packaging. Those were small retail outlets. I never got hit for duty, but that isn't going to wash with customs when they see a big retailer involved.

If you know any friends in the states, they could take delivery and pass it on to you as a gift? Maybe even through facebook or similar?

Alex
Protect the edge.

Black-Don

Quote from: fergie on February 11, 2012, 12:22:48 AM
I got hosed last month after thinking i was getting a bargain on US ebay fuckers got me for import tax which is a pain but then the post office put the boot in and charge you a handling fee or some bullshit. :pat

If customs get hold of it parcelforce charge you £4 admin fee and £8 for customs handling................shocking  :x

Darwin

Cabela's has a store in France if that helps.  Outcast is quality kit.

shad

Quote from: Moray on February 10, 2012, 11:37:19 PM
I see there is a dealer in Germany, orders over 100 Euros free delivery which always saves a bit

Take it wouldn't be any duty charges, etc if coming from within Europe?

No you wont pay anything on it if bought from within the EU, however the importer will have and will pass that on in the price.

Ideal way to get one would be have someone travelling to the USA bring it back- I know its heavy but some airlines allow another item of sporting goods on top of baggage allowance .Just an idea if you have good friends who are travelling there, that would avoid tax and postage.

Ive also had flyshops send me rods etc marked as "warranty return no value" which has worked in the past, shop called The Anglers Habitat were always very helpfull  :D

Cheers Colin

zeolite

I am buying everything from the US at the moment.

Can't get decent tea though!
Schrodinger's troots pictured above.

Highlander

There are ways round paying import taxes but for such a large purchase it would not go unnoticed in my opinon. On small items if you have a friendly seller that knows how the game is played it can be done.
Declarations such as gift, warranty/ repairs, marked under $25 can & do work.
A float tube, fraid not. You might be lucky & it flows through the customs at Liverpool unnoticed but my guess is you are more likely to get stung big time.
Me I would bite the bullet & buy another make from a U K dealer. Having said that the German dealer is a distinct possibility.
Tight Lines
" The Future's Bright The Future's Wet Fly"

Nemo me impune lacessit

Go To Front Page