News:

The Best Fishing Forum In The UK.
Do You Have What It Takes To Be A Member?

Main Menu
Please consider a donation to help with the running costs of this forum.

Vacuum Packers

Started by bushy palmer, February 22, 2011, 12:04:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Andrew Moray

Hello Stu,

Many thanks for the Lakeland pointer.
Used a more basic boil preprepped baggie routine for years, this looks more suitable for my current lazy bastard Jetboil phase.

Quote from: StuDoig on February 23, 2011, 10:51:48 PMPlus you can make a brew from the water you headed up the food in.
:lol:
Still can't understand why people carry fuel to boil water, then throw it away, especially angel pasta water - yumm yumm.

Thanks Stu
Tony

StuDoig

Quote from: Part-time on February 24, 2011, 12:30:20 AM
Sounds like a good idea Stu; will any heavy duty freezer bag do or are the ones you get meant for heating up

John

You get ones that are meant for heating up - i'd be a little suspicous of normal freezer bags in boiling water - either for disintegrating or leeching nasties into the food / water.  Last thing you want is the delicous curry etc spilling into the water and becoming soup!

cheers,

Stuart

StuDoig

Quote from: Andrew Moray on February 24, 2011, 11:51:03 AM
Still can't understand why people carry fuel to boil water, then throw it away, especially angel pasta water - yumm yumm.

Thanks Stu
Tony

Aye, its a mystery!  I went bothying a few times with a couple of old skoolers who cooked over the bothy fire or wood burner, never bothered carrying stoves so never a drop of hot water was to be wasted (even if not consumed it was put to good use as a hot water bottle!).

Cheers,

Stuart

StuDoig

Quote from: Alan on February 24, 2011, 12:18:31 AM
this is a great pre season thread, although i dont think i could do dried food............

I've a great photo somewhere of the booze and food I once hauled into Corruisk on Skye with a friend who didn't like to "ruff" it too much - to the degree that they had special egg holders so they could carry eggs without breakages!

Bizzarely despite us carrying two of everything, a box of wine, bottle of malt and hip flask of rum they insisted on only taking cuppa soup for pasta sauce....

in hind sight, given thrashed with rain for the whole time we were there the luxuries were appreciated..... esp after a day wandering about the south end of the Cuillin ridge in the dreich and feich!

cheers,

Stu

Andrew Moray

Quote from: Alan on February 24, 2011, 01:19:00 PMTony, how do you boil water without fuel or burning something?
Live where the sun shines a lot, and use a magnifying glass ?.
101% energy efficient black box theory ?.

Is it a general question, or have I implied it somewhere ?

StuDoig

Quote from: Alan on February 24, 2011, 01:19:00 PM
Stu, i reckon you dont need to suffer no matter the weather or remoteness, the thing that draws a trip short is running out of things or need ing to get back for this and that, its a fine balance if your carrying everything you need up to 2000' but a few luxuries will extend the stay,

Aye, without a doubt a few luxury treats make things a lot more pleasant! 

How do you boil water without fuel?  I recon I could have got a couple of litres boiled by sticking my fingers into the pan when I got back to the car to find my rod had fallen off my sack (ooer) about 10mins after I'd left a loch last year!  Que an hours walk back to find the thing, strap it on properly and start the retreat all over again! :)

Stu

Andrew Moray

The kettle egg thing is a phase of personal development, self discovery and bacteria immunisation.
I don't buy into the "poor student" thing.
Try getting a parking space near any old Poly/Tech College/converted Uni during term  :D

Black-Don

Re. the bread thing. If you're going to be able to have an open fire, Damper is always an option.

If you don't fancy the charred crust you can use a pot or tinfoil to bury the dough mix in  :wink:

Bannocks cooked on a stick are another alternative.

Part-time

Quote from: StuDoig on February 24, 2011, 12:26:36 PM
You get ones that are meant for heating up - i'd be a little suspicous of normal freezer bags in boiling water - either for disintegrating or leeching nasties into the food / water.  Last thing you want is the delicous curry etc spilling into the water and becoming soup!
cheers,
Stuart

Cheers Stu, I found the ones you mean on the Lakeland website - menu planning now part of preparations for the new season :)

dazdidge

solar cooker is a good idea, lightweight, no fuel required but is a bit bulky unless you carry the materials up the hill and knock it up when tents go up. All you need is some cardbard, tin foil and gaffer tape, oh and some sun.
http://saliers.com/clubs/thermonuclear-cooking/rbc-portable/
http://solarcooking.org/plans/

Go To Front Page