News:

The Best Fishing Forum In The UK.
Do You Have What It Takes To Be A Member?

Main Menu
Please consider a donation to help with the running costs of this forum.

Organise me.

Started by The Bandy Man, September 24, 2010, 10:47:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Bandy Man

Some good suggestions there - both positive and negative. I guess I have to visit some tackle shops and have a look at the ones which have been suggested as good options, before I make up my mind. Thanks.

John

dazdidge

I am another to recommend a waistcoat John, I'm sure you can remember what my memory is like (or maybe not)!!! I couldn't do without it now. The only things I have hanging off it are my line snips on a coiled bungee type thing and my forceps. The forceps aren't a problem but I quite quickly learned to tuck the snips into the front pocket as it does occasionally get snagged in the line. Go for a size bigger than you need so you can easilly get a jacket underneath. Most now come with a large pocket on the back that will fit a lightweight waterproof jacket into.
I can't recommend a particular make, but I can tell you that the zips on my Airflo one are absolutely pants!!! Apart from the fact they open the wrong way (IMHO) they are very weak and I have had to steal zips from the inside pockets to fit on the outside ones, yes I have to admit that I can sew, and use a sewing machine :crap
If you are ever in Aberfeldy, Girvans of Aberfeldy had some in their sale.
It is also worth waterproofing it with Nickwax wash in stuff as well.

cheers
daz

Malcolm

Alan,

That waistcoat isn't waterproof but it seems to have some water resistance. I wear it over a paramo windshirt which also has a bit of water resistance.

However I do have a full waterproof waistcoat - made for photography - which knocks everything I've seen in the fishing waistcoat market into a cocked hat when it comes to robustness and bad weather practicality. It really is the dogs. Not the lightest, too long to use with chesties and not comfy in 85 deg but superb quality and I expect to still be wearing it in 30 years time. Here is the blurb: http://www.stealth-gear.com/extreme-photographers-photo-vest.html

Various reviews are on the site from top wildlife photographers. If I were to want a waistcoat for Shetland in April this is it!

There's nocht sae sober as a man blin drunk.
I maun hae goat an unco bellyfu'
To jaw like this

The Bandy Man

Aye well Steve, I went with three maps and came back with one.  :lol: That's one accounted for then.

I would imagine that your bum would look big in anything,  by the way.  :lol:  :makefun

John

The Bandy Man

Quote from: Steve on September 24, 2010, 11:53:21 PM
John I will put it in the post in the morning
Steve

Thanks Steve.

John

Part-time

Vest works for me John,
Currently using a bog standard snowbee one. I try to keep things in the same pockets to try and avoid searching through half a dozen pockets to find nylon, floatant etc. Forceps and snips on a zinger and net at the back are the only things hanging off.

I keep a packable waterproof in the back pocket and if it rains I wear it over the vest to keep it dry; its a Musto one with two slit pockets on the chest so you can access the top vest pockets without taking it off. I use a small backpack rather than a bag if I need to carry more stuff.

Found your hat in in the back of my car on the Sunday :lol: - hope Graham got it back to you ok

John   

The Bandy Man

Thanks John

QuoteFound your hat in in the back of my car on the Sunday :lol: - hope Graham got it back to you ok

:oops: :oops: :oops:

I rest my case.  :lol:

Aye,  I got my hat back from Graham.

John

Highlander

Must admit I am quite taken by the Klobba one. About time I moved on. Thanks paulr for sugesting it.
Tight Lines
PS Bandy you organise yourself, I'm sorted
  :lol:
Brady...... We don't need no stinkin Brady.
:roll:
" The Future's Bright The Future's Wet Fly"

Nemo me impune lacessit

Noddy

I've got the Klobba one the same as Paul its taken a bit of abuse over the last two years the stitching is coming away where its attached to the front of the vest but it is still secure.  I've got a habit of leaning on the front pockets and I'm quite good at falling all over the place.  Got mine from Yorkshire Game angling for about ?15. 

Alan next time we meet on the Gryffe I will let you see it.

Jim

harelug

QuoteThe 2 reel pockets at the back are a waste of time as well because you have to take the vest off to access them which defeats the whole purpose in my opinion.

I use the greys grx, find it great, loads of pockets and I fill them. The reel pockets on the back you use for stuff you only need to use when you have to take the waistcoat off anyway.
There is no greater
  fan of fly fishing

Than the worm

Go To Front Page