News:

The Best Fishing Forum In The UK.
Do You Have What It Takes To Be A Member?

Main Menu
Please consider a donation to help with the running costs of this forum.

Haggling

Started by piscatus absentis, January 10, 2009, 09:36:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

piscatus absentis

The M.D. ordered me out shopping today and at one stage I was in an outdoor shop in MacArthur Glen looking at the new Hi-Tec Ion Technology boots (it's a new waterproofing system).  The shop manager came over and started to give me the spiel about them being as good as boots costing twice as much - they were ?89.95.   I said I'd wait until the price came down and was told that there was no chance of that. 

He noticed I was wearing an old pair of Hi-Tec boots and told me the new ones were much better but I resisted and started looking at cheaper ones.  'How much', he asked, 'would I pay for them', and was told ?50. 

To keep it short I got them for ?59.95 but I noticed he rang the ticket for another pair at that price through the till. 

I suppose it helps his bonus and I was quite pleased.  Very comfortable they are too.  I left the old pair in the shop for them to dispose off.

superscot

PA good on yi .......and  mind they are desperate to get yer cash through the tills ....so don't pay the full price ..

haresear

QuoteI left the old pair in the shop for them to dispose off. 

What size were they? :)

Alex
Protect the edge.

Malcolm

I've been making offers for virtually everything substantial that I buy from shops for a long time now. Also hotels (some brilliant deals at weekends). Almost always I get some sort of discount. Not often to the level that PA negotiated but it's still worthwhile asking. It's a no lose situation - at worst you only pay the asking price.
There's nocht sae sober as a man blin drunk.
I maun hae goat an unco bellyfu'
To jaw like this

dseabass

yip ---if ye dont ask ye wont get and i dont think there are many retailers out there now who wont give a 10-20%  disc rather than loose a sale ---a lot of businesses are going to have to lower their margins this year a think

Ian_M

I always haggle for larger purchases, much to the embarrassment of my better half.

Recently I needed to replace our DVD recorder and so I searched the net for a bargain.  Dixons had the model I was after and at a really good price. 

Currys and Dixons are the same firm along with PC World, so a trip to the local Currys for a bit of haggling was in order. The price was £80 higher in Currys but they would not move on that price and they even agreed that I would be foolish not to buy from Dixons. I cannot fathom out the logic.

So Dixons it was.
Ian

Go To Front Page