News:

The Best Fishing Forum In The UK.
Do You Have What It Takes To Be A Member?

Main Menu
Please consider a donation to help with the running costs of this forum.

Old Tackle

Started by Harpo, June 23, 2015, 12:15:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Harpo

Found a bag with some old tackle in it round at my Dad's
Nothing of great interest or worth anything but nice to find and the old nylon casts have the names of shops long gone

Alex Martin Limited in Glasgow, Frederick Street Edinburgh and Aberdeen
F&D Simpson 28 west preston street Edinburgh - nor part of a decent looking pub
Wilco Sports north Berwick, 55p for a 3 fly cast . This Shop is still in North Berwick I think

The reels are a condex, pridex and beaudex all by JW young and sons

I need a reel for my #3 so might use one of them

My Dad's uncle was the fisher of the family and my Dad less so, the uncle used to catch salmon and sea trout fom the Lochs of the North West, wrap them in hay and brown paper and send them to his Mum in Edinburgh by train who would get them next day and would eat them for dinner with my Dad.
Imagine that these days, 4 days after posting you get a ticket asking you to collect a parcel from the sorting office and it's a 5 day old unrefrigerated Salmon!

[attachimg=1]

burnie

I keep most of my old stuff like that, I've even got a glass fronted box and the green baize to line it and make a little display. One of these days I might even get round to finishing it..........

Wildfisher

I no longer have my old reels save one old Hardy. What I do have though is a few  old rods I had in the 1960s.  One home made and a few old Milbro Trufly.

burnie

Nearly all coarse fishing stuff that I have, even have the first non home made solid fibre glass boys rod from the mid '50's, not worth anything and is useless for even wee bairns, but I kept, only knows why :roll:

lnelson20

I have my auld Da's gear lying in the cupboard and although the silk line has disintergrated the condex and greenheart are still in fair condition,a fair weight when assembled though.Although i suppose that was the kit of the day you really have to appreciate the gear we have today,i can still remember the auld yin working his way up the Fillan greasing his line every now and then :D

Chris.
c.nelson

Highlander

I am a sucker for older tackle. I collect & currently use a Beaudex. I have four of them along wih a couple of Pridex & Condex three of which are brand new. The Hills cast carriers shown I still use as does the old Wheatley Slimaloy fly box. The Loch Leven one is in pretty bad nick but good condition ones go for noo bad prices on Flee Be.  I to have some old cast cellophane  with ready made fly casts in them. Alex Martin was a famous tackle shop in Glasgow that sold" nice" stuff sadly long gone. You see their catalogues now & again on E Bay.
They will never be used as the gut would have deteriorated some what by now but nice to have a look at now & again.
My first "real" fly rod was the Milbro Trufly. I always wonder how we managed to last a days fishing wth theese old heavy bits of tackle. Maybe we were just made of sterner stuff all those years ago,
Just enjoy them for what they are.
Tight Lines
" The Future's Bright The Future's Wet Fly"

Nemo me impune lacessit

Tweed

I'm more concerned about the leopard print background!  :lol:

Wildfisher

Aye that leopard print is definitely suspect.  :D

Harpo

Quote from: Tweed on June 23, 2015, 11:05:17 PM
I'm more concerned about the leopard print background!  :lol:

:lol: I'll pass you guys regards for my wife's interior design table cloth onto her!

Wildfisher

Last time I saw material like that was in a Frankie Goes To Hollywood video on TV in 1984   :lol:

Go To Front Page